The Power Supply Unit tier list Discussion thread

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are alot of things MUCH better than the CX units but there are ALOT of things much worse.

For a budget/ office/ second spare parts PC/ etc, I would rather have a CX500 usually on sale for $30 than a diablotek, etc for the same price.

I think I'm going to have to agree with zeyuanfu on this one. I don't think they belong in any machine. For 30 bucks, the VP-450 is much more dependable.

And any rig without an aftermarket graphics that doesn't require supplemental power beyond 450w, doesn't need a PSU with more capacity than that anyhow. Any rig that does need it, shouldn't be run on one unless nothing better is available or possible, as with some members in India with budgets that don't allow for the higher tiered models in that market. Seasonic and Antec are pretty expensive over there, but the Corsair units are pretty reasonable so I can understand using them in that market, but not elsewhere.

A CX would be fine in a lot of rigs, just not anything with more than a very entry level graphics card used for gaming loads. I don't fault Corsair for the ignorant masses cramming these cheap units into gaming rigs gone wrong, because Corsair explicitly only advertises these as entry level units. I fault the retailers and OEM rig builders who put these office grade units in with the high end hardware. The salesman is going to tell the unwary consumer to trust in the Corsair logo instead of getting the cheaper and more reliable XFX unit.

I agree, but calling this the "builder" series is one of the best marketing plans ever. The CX units are not great, we know this, and they should not be in a gaming PC. YET, I bet there are more CX units in PCs around the world than any other line of PSU from any maker. Corsair has done am AMAZING job marketing these things.

TNT27

Distinguished

And now just yesterday its started to restart if I turn it off, and other wierd power related things, but hey its a 14 year old PSU and its just now as of yesterday started to fail (Still works, but i cant trust it anymore). I'am definitely getting Antec from now on.

Ironic that I mentioned almost a week ago that it was working with no problems, guess I forgot to knock on wood.

Another part of the problem is that Corsair brand fanboys are some of the most loyal. Sapphire and EVGA fanboys have nothing on these guys. They see that brand and will follow it right off a cliffside. I get so fustrated here that it's quite amazing I'm not banned yet for exploding in threads. Example:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2499296/psu-handle-msi-gtx-750.html

^^ Nothing I can say will make them not buy that CX, lol.

Sayken

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
and most of them use them without any safety measures.
you know what, if they want to burn so badly then let them burn.
if being a fan is more important than one's own life then yeah, idiots are idiots for one reason. they define that word in every aspect.

Maybe dropping a few baskets full of failed CX units on their heads like on the Red's apple ale commercials might be helpful. Or, you can just laugh like hell at them later on when their machine exhibits the ghost in the machine effect and they can't figure out what the hell is going on.

vturbo

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Hi there, i have noticed that all the good quality PSU's are big power in general. I am looking for a really high quality PSU around the 400-450w mark that is totally silent at least during the first half of its full loading, e.g. RM series from Corsair, and uses modern power correction technology such as the PS223 chip. I will be using it for clocking an i7 Devils Canyon chip to the max on an Asus z97 itx MB, but i won't be using any graphics cards, and only one ssd.

i wish i could get away with a PicoPSU but the highest they go to is only 160w.

Any ideas?

Not true. There are very good low capacity models. The Antec VP-450w at about thirty bucks US and available in most world markets is a very reliable unit.

Actually, any of these are probably a good choice:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/antec-power-supply-bp430%2Cantec-power-supply-vp450%2Crosewill-power-supply-capstone450%2Cseasonic-power-supply-s12ii430b/

adam45417

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Need help on replacing my EVGA supernova g1 650w PSU, Want to replace it due to noise issues was looking at the Corsair Cx 750w and the Corsair RM 650w. Which one is better ? And any other recommendations around the same price ?

Tesla_Whizz

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/power-supply/#m=71,39

This shows what SeaSonic PSUs are available from UK retailers. And btw XFX is basically SeaSonic rebranded.
Some of the Antec and Corsair series are also Seasonic rebranded but not of the same quality from what I have read.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I own that XTR also , great supply.

28lf7g3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.