The Power Supply Unit tier list Discussion thread

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geral

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Hi guys, sorry to ask here, but it seems all the big guys are here.

Im planning to build i high end pc (for gaming and working on photoshop and illustrator) thats going to look something like this:

MOBA: Maximus VII Formula
CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: GTX 980
RAM: 16GB (most likely to be Corsair Dominator since it is the best i could find here)

Now about the PSU ive been told 850 would be enough even if i plan to SLI a 2nd 980. Ive been looking around for some Tier 1 or 2 PSU's here (La Paz, Bolivia) and i couldnt find none.

The best i could find, according to the tier list, was:

Deepcool Quanta 1000w (Tier 3).

How do u guys feel about this PSU? Should i get a better one (buying online and thus a lot more expensive after shipping and taxes), or will it be enough for my rig?. I DO plan to overclock all i can.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

If you plan on OC'ing a good amount, definitely consider paying the extra for a T1 unit. Buying a T3 unit could lead to some problems down the road. Not a guarantee, but definitely more likely.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

There are plenty of good answers you can find in the original thread you created.

Others state that a EVGA G2 850w is a much better alternative.

Deepcool Quanta seems similar to the CX750. Not great.

The Deepcool Quanta 1000W is nothing like the Corsair CX750.

The Deepcool Quanta 1000W is more like the Corsair RM1000 since they're both 80 PLUS GOLD models made by CWT. The Deepcool Quanta 1000W uses all Japanese capacitors and rated to operate in up to a 50°C environment whereas the Corsair RM1000 uses Japanese capacitors on the primary and Taiwanese Taicon and CapXon capacitors on the secondary and rated to operate in up to a 40°C environment.

bjmaz

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Is it at all possible to see where various SFX supplies come in this tiering system? Or is it ATX only?

I'm personally interested in Silverstone's SX600-G. I've already got it, but I'd like to see how it fits in. (And if it's a "replace immediately" item, then I'd like to see where the new Corsair supply sits ;P )

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

Thanks it is a good PSU I got it for 65 dollars :) now today they became overpriced especially for a PSU with 80 PLus bronze rating

TNT27

Distinguished
How are Insingnia PSU?

I grabbed a cheap 10$ 400 watt Insignia PSU which is plenty to run a 750ti, I figured 10$ on a P.O.S is better than spending 50$ on a P.O.S Thermaltake, or cx unit

D

Deleted member 217926

You have to understand when we say the CX isn't great it's also several orders of magnitude better than a $10 Insignia. Insignia would be about tier 10 if it went that low. I thought it was US law any power supply sold here had to have a picture of the sticker? That model seems to avoid it somehow.

So you bought a 300 Watt OEM Huntkey. How is that any better?

400 Watts Peak does not make it a 400 Watt power supply unit.

Insufficiently spec'd components just means that there will be a greater chance of explosion. Common with low end Huntkey PSUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.