The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its time.....

latest

Welcome aboard. Glad to see I'm not the only one operating on R9 290 room heating. :D

On that topic, looks like a cold weekend coming up here in Scandinavia.

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

What really? I don't have time before the competition to benchmark everything to figure it out which is faster but are you recommending I should shut down my CPU and just go with the GTX 970 for best output?

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

If you choose Medium in FAH control it should leave enough CPU power to work on the GPU folding. If I leave it on Medium it uses 2 cores of my 4690k for CPU folding, 1 to work on GPU folding, and 1 on standby for me.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

If you want to fold with the CPU change the slot settings to leave a core open for each GPU with which you are folding. GPU folding will monopolize an entire CPU core and if you are trying to fold on it also it will slow everything down.

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
I've decided to defect from my current team to help with folding efforts over the competition!

Hell, maybe i'll become a regular TH folder :)

A quick note on the number of CPU threads question, its always better to keep an even number of CPU threads folding, and definitely NOT a prime number ( not 3,5,7 etc) of threads, as there are far less WU's available for these and you could find your CPU slot sitting idle.

I personally have a 6 thread CPU slot running alongside my GPU, leaving CPU headroom for the GPU to use, as well leaving the PC 'Usable'.

:hello: welcome aboard!

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

WTF. Wow. Well, maybe we'll have to drown them with volume. I have more cores coming online and maybe I'll sacrifice usability on my main rig to utilize the other GTX 960 and get that fired up with the CPU cores coming in today. I should be able to almost double my output with that. Yeah - it's not 15m a day, but it'll take me up to maybe 200-300k per day.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Is there going to be somewhere that will track the competition points? I will probably be too lazy to math it myself when I want to know the score.

Have you guys noticed that getting a CPU work unit seems to be like pulling teeth? Both of my systems have been trying for about 24 hrs now to get a CPU work unit. Both GPU's seem to be getting satisfied though.

ir8munk33

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

How many threads are you running your CPU units on?

You'll be more likely to get WU's for an even number of threads than an odd number.

I've got one machine running a 6 thread slot and getting WU's, and another machine running 2 x 4 thread slots also getting plenty of WU's.

If you're running a slot with 3,5 or 7 threads, you'll likely have trouble getting WU's.

It is running on 7 and using the 8th for the 980Ti. I guess I can limit it more.

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Thanks both! Throwing caution to the wind and spooled up 3 other machines today, not sure how much they will add yet, but I figure every little bit helps. At least the basement is nice and toasty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.