Question The weirdest Hard drive failure

Jun 13, 2021
The weirdest thing happened 2 days ago. My EXFAT formatted portable Hard drive (Seagate Slim), suddenly Unmounted from my Mac and never came back on again. The drive spins when I connect it, the light shows but it doesn’t get recognized on the Mac or on disk utility or even system profiler on both Macs.

I then tried Windows 10 on Parallels for Mac and the drive showed on disk management but no drive letter no partition and no volume. Just a cd rom letter showed. I swapped the usb c bridge adapter for the drive with another from a second seagate drive and it didn’t make a difference.

It’s unbelievable how it stopped working just like that. The drive makes no noise, it’s spinning properly. No clicks no beeps etc. yet it seems it’s dead. What do you think?

Jun 13, 2021
I’m expecting a new housing case tomorrow. I’ll try that and see if it works. Though I did swap the housing sata connector with another from a seagate hard drive and it still didn’t work.

Jun 13, 2021
I have a feeling this is the culprit. When I use it to connect another drive it takes a while to Mount. But when I connect the drive through a standard usb c to usb hub it mounts with no issues.