Austin Urbanski

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
So I just recently got a 5800x and I cant get any sort of display to show up when its connected.
when i was installing it I i got thermal paste on my fingers and when i was touching the cpu i got thermal paste on the pins, would this make the cpu not work?
Also I know on amd mobo's there is a an 8 pin power connecter and a 4 pin I only have the 8 pin connected but when i use my 3800x it seems to be fine do i need to plug in the other 4 pin as well for the the 5800x?
Im using an asus x570 motherboard, yes the bios is updated to version 3001?
If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Solution
What brand/type thermal paste?

If the uncommon, conductive, "liquid metal" type yes it can definitely prevent normal functioning and it may be permanent.

If it's the standard and common type we usually get it would only prevent normal functioning if it was a large enough quantity to keep the socket contacts from making a connection. In that case, careful cleaning of the pins with isopropyl alcohol and an artist's paintbrush will bring it back.

If it was enough to pack the socket contacts full of it then spraying it (the motherboard socket) with some electronics cleaner will wash it out. That might take a lot of spray, maybe a whole can. Be liberal, do it over a tray to catch the run-off.

4 pin power is enough for a 3800X so...

If the uncommon, conductive, "liquid metal" type yes it can definitely prevent normal functioning and it may be permanent.

If it's the standard and common type we usually get it would only prevent normal functioning if it was a large enough quantity to keep the socket contacts from making a connection. In that case, careful cleaning of the pins with isopropyl alcohol and an artist's paintbrush will bring it back.

If it was enough to pack the socket contacts full of it then spraying it (the motherboard socket) with some electronics cleaner will wash it out. That might take a lot of spray, maybe a whole can. Be liberal, do it over a tray to catch the run-off.

4 pin power is enough for a 3800X so 8 pin is certainly good enough. But some motherboards need at least one particular 4 pin socket populated; you might try changing the PSU connectors around to different motherboard sockets to find out.

Last edited:
Solution

Austin Urbanski

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019

4 pin power is enough for a 3800X so 8 pin is certainly good enough. But some motherboards need at least one particular 4 pin socket populated; you might try changing the PSU connectors around to different motherboard sockets to find out.
ok i will try that and see what i can do, Thanks!