This Brother MFC-495CW is gonna be the end of me...

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I want to print from Windows 7 SP1 to a Brother MFC-495CW, wirelessly. Getting the Brother onto the WLAN is no problem. Once on, it prints all its settings – color, paper, trays etc. I cant get the Brother to install properly on Win7. I do not have the original installation CD. I am using the “Full Driver & Software Package” MFL-Pro Suite MFC-495CW ver 1.0.3.0 downloaded from Brother. Windows Update is no help. These screens show just how maddening this is.

Before every time I try again, I remove the half installed “printer” from Devices and Printers with Brother’s uninstall tool, BrRemPnP.exe. Thinking installing the printer locally (USB) first might work, I tried their TWAIN drivers, no joy. Trying it through Win7 with “add a printer” always looks promising until it fails with a 0x2 error. A System Restore and reboots galore along the way.

This is not my printer or computer. It got too late working on it there, so I took them home to continue thinking about lighting myself on fire here. Now get this - I can’t even get back to where I was because the printer refuses to accept the correct network security key and fails to even get on the WLAN. Now where is that damn lighter...

ibX7UKRDWE4kb.jpg
ibfDnsvnb5xmk6.jpg

Ive been all over the support site, http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/model_top/colormfc/mfc495cw_all.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc495cw_all

group6

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
The file "ntprint.inf" was missing from Windows\inf. That was causing the driver install to fail with a 0x2 error. Copied it from another Win 7 machine and problem solved. Thats 10 hours of my life I'll never get back. Thank you Brother.

TRENDING THREADS