I have "lost" some photo files. On a search with PS3 I am told a location
which has a tilde in it, "Docume~1. What does that mean and how can I get to
the file?
--
Thanks

In news:F9A2BC6B-51C4-4E13-A501-4AF67A3D4F03@microsoft.com,
johow <johow@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have "lost" some photo files. On a search with PS3 I am told
> location which has a tilde in it, "Docume~1. What does that
> mean and
> how can I get to the file?

It means it's a long file name--more than eight characters--and
you're looking at an abbreviation of it. The actual name begins
with "Docume"

Please reply to the newsgroup

Look something like this?

C:\DOCUME~1\WESLEY~1.VOG\LOCALS~1\Temp

That is really ...
C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\Local Settings\Temp

Do a Search from the start button.

Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
Click All files and folders.

When the file is found, in the right hand pane, right click the file and
select Open Containing Folder. This will open the folder where the file is
located.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F9A2BC6B-51C4-4E13-A501-4AF67A3D4F03@microsoft.com,
johow <johow@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have "lost" some photo files. On a search with PS3 I am told a location
> which has a tilde in it, "Docume~1. What does that mean and how can I
> get to the file?
> --
> Thanks

caused by MS DOS truncating the filename to the old 8.3 format. (it doesn't
like long file names!).
just open the file as normal.
"johow" <johow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have "lost" some photo files. On a search with PS3 I am told a location
> which has a tilde in it, "Docume~1. What does that mean and how can I get
> the file?
> --
> Thanks

MS-DOS doesn't truncate the file names on XP computers.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation

Specifies whether NTFS generates a short name in the 8.3 naming convention
for long file names and for file names that contain characters from the
extended character set.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/DepKit/61cd1970-5254-47c2-96d4-a66c78044638.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ejuu5Q2YFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Andrew Murray <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> hunted and pecked:
> caused by MS DOS truncating the filename to the old 8.3 format. (it
> doesn't like long file names!).
> just open the file as normal.
> "johow" <johow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have "lost" some photo files. On a search with PS3 I am told a
>> location which has a tilde in it, "Docume~1. What does that mean and
>> how can I get to
>> the file?
>> --
>> Thanks

Your help has been excellent. Now I know~~~~
johow
--
Thanks