[SOLVED] Time for a GPU Upgrade?

rmaustin

Prominent
May 3, 2019
Hey all, right now I have an Asus STRIX Vega 56 and was wondering if picking up a new RTX 2060 super or RTX 2070 would be any performance increase? TIA
Other specs:
Intel i7-6700k
MSI Z270 Pro Gaming Carbon
16GB Trident Z RGB

Solution
The RTX 2070 or RTX 2060 Super have roughly a 15% performance increase over the VEGA56.

Unless you finding your performance sub-par or you want RTX, I see no reason to spend a lot of money for a small performance uplift.

For some free performance, you can always overclock your CPU and GPU as long as you have decent cooling and case airflow. I could see a CPU bump to 4.6 or 4.8ghz would really bump performance in demanding AAA titles.
The RTX 2070 or RTX 2060 Super have roughly a 15% performance increase over the VEGA56.

Unless you finding your performance sub-par or you want RTX, I see no reason to spend a lot of money for a small performance uplift.

For some free performance, you can always overclock your CPU and GPU as long as you have decent cooling and case airflow. I could see a CPU bump to 4.6 or 4.8ghz would really bump performance in demanding AAA titles.

Solution

rmaustin

Prominent
May 3, 2019
I have a 144 Hz monitor. I mostly just want to get it for future proofing. There are a lot of games coming out in the next 6-12 months that I really want to be able to play at a decent framerate/resolution.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Id say to get the games and thesee if your upgrade is nessisary. Even if your gpu has trouble maintaining 144hz with max settings, reducing settings will help.

Absolutely agreed with this. Don't buy what's available now hoping it'll serve you in the future, or with some idea of future-proofing.

After all, by the time you get games that are too much for your Vega 56 to handle, who knows how much prices will have come down on current generation cards, or if another generation of cards are out by then.

Wait until you get the games, and then see if the Vega 56 can handle them. If so, great, you've saved yourself a bunch of money. If not, then the same money you would've spent today will buy more graphical horsepower per dollar in the future.

Reactions: rmaustin