Question Tiny UEFI change permanently destroys PC

Brutal_Moose

Reputable
Jan 28, 2020
Asus 2012 UEFI 16GBDDR3 Laptop N56V(z)
Veracrypt version from april 2023
Win10 22H2 Pro
Encrypted C Windows system partition, then deleted all partitions on disk, then in UEFI, removed Veracrypt in boot menu. It never booted since then. It is always black screen, 100% black, never any text of any kind. The HDMI to external monitor is black too. No other recent changes or damage.

I have tried removing battery, holding power button for 30 seconds. Downloaded UEFI EC update, extracted file, put onto MBR FAT32 32GB USB 3.0, had no effect.

Removed CMOS battery, RAM.

Last edited:
In general, laptop "CMOS" settings have long been saved into flash except for the clock, and so only a very-low-capacity tiny rechargeable battery is usually used in laptops instead of a primary cell. After all, the only thing it's keeping is the time/date and Windows can connect to a time server when it connects to the internet.

Brutal_Moose

Reputable
Jan 28, 2020
In general, laptop "CMOS" settings have long been saved into flash except for the clock, and so only a very-low-capacity tiny rechargeable battery is usually used in laptops instead of a primary cell. After all, the only thing it's keeping is the time/date and Windows can connect to a time server when it connects to the internet.
I have read that in addition to time, the CMOS remembers the BIOS UEFI settings, that is why I removed it.