Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 198 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 27, 2023
Hello everyone, new member here! I am a long time Mac user, and I just get started with custom-built PC. This is my first-ever PC build!

p4mPdQJ.jpg

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black with solid steel side panel
Case Fans: Noctua NF-A14 PWM x 3 (front intake), NF-A14 PWM x 1 (rear exhaust)
CPU cooler: ekwb EK-AIO 360 basic + Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x 3 (top exhaust)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X
Motherboard: ASUS ProArt X670E-CREATOR
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo 2 x 32GB DDR5-6000
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4090 Founders Edition
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB (boot), Samsung 980 Pro 2TB (secondary)
PSU: Phanteks Revolt X 1000W

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
20230413-170614.jpg

Fans:
Case: 4x Noctua NF-A14 140mm's. 3 IN/Front, 1 OUT/Rear.
Cooler: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 (PUSH) {Yes, I know they aren't black, can't tell with the dark glass}
p4mPdQJ.jpg

Case Fans: Noctua NF-A14 PWM x 3 (front intake), NF-A14 PWM x 1 (rear exhaust)
CPU cooler: + Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x 3 (top exhaust)

Copycat lol jk. The Noctuas are fantastic fan. I don't know real world how much it matters but I would swap the rubber dampers on the AIO to the ones I have on (they come with the fans).

Reactions: spladam and tecmo34

wolfy001

Prominent
Dec 14, 2022
New pc build:
ryzen7600,
rx6750,
b650 aorus elite,
deepcool case,
corsair vengance 32gb ddr5,
corsair 850w psu,
crucial p3 plus 1tb pcie ssd.
deepcool a500 cpu cooler

For sure not the best cable management but not terrible. Runs most games over 80fps @ 1080p. cpu rarely goes over 65c, same for gpu.

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
This is a picture of a PC I built in 2012. The case is called Windtunnel from the company XCLIO. The fans in the photo are 250mm and each one had it's own adjustment dial and on/off switch. With no dust filters, I had to clean the system about once a month.

CPU: Intel Q9300
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680
RAM: 8GB

windtunnel.jpg

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
250mm seems a bit excessive but I don't have experience with it myself.

Isn't the CFM pretty low as a trade off even if dialed to max? If not ,I'd imagine they are pretty loud. You can have quite and giant fans, at least not in 2012.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
250mm fans will be proprietary, they are not an aftermarket size, so not replaceable except through the case manufacturer.

CFM is iffy as it's also paired up with static pressure. Generally cfm for cfm, a larger diameter fan will spin a hub speed slower than a smaller fan, especially given the size of the blades. But the hub is moot, what's important is the leading outer edge at the frame, as a larger fan spinning slower in the center is actually moving faster at the outside edge and low quality fans suffer audible failure there.

Essentially a 250mm fan blade leading tip will travel @ 2x the distance of a 120mm fan blade per 1 rpm. At 1000rpm, a 120mm fan blade tip is traveling at @ 6.3m/s, a 250mm fan tip is traveling at @ 13m/s. That's a big gain in cfm, but a massive gain in volume.

That's noisy at anything over 400-500rpm. And because the rpm is so low, you don't get any static pressure to move all that cfm produced, so airflow is somewhat stunted.

Your lungs have a specific volume. Take a deep breath, put your palm facing your face 1ft away. Open wide, blow out as hard as you can. Your lungs empty in @ 1 second, lot of cfm, barely feel any air on your hand. Take another breath, purse your lips, blow out hard for 1 second, lot less cfm, lungs still have plenty of air, but very difinable breeze on your hand.

CFM isn't a magic number unless it has enough pressure affecting it to make it move. A single, higher sp, mediocre cfm 140mm fan is far more affective against the airflow restrictions in a case than any 250mm fan, at the same perceived audio volume.

The 250mm fans are a gimmick. The case manufacturer plays on the publics general assumption that bigger fan, higher cfm = better.

Last edited:

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
I think it was a gimmick too.
  • The fans were very loud when the dial was turned up over 50%. My wife hated the noise they made.
  • The temperatures were good when the fans were running at full capacity, but again, the noise sounded like howling wind.
  • No dust filter. No third party made filters that big. The only way to keep dust out was to cut out a piece of mosquito netting made for windows and tape it on there.
  • The fans were cheap and a little over a year one broke.
In the end I realized the case was a mistake. It looked kind of cool but it was poorly designed and was made of cheap material. When the fan broke I didn't RMA it, I just bought another case. In 2014 I bought my first Bequiet! case and since then have stayed with that brand.

Last edited:
There ARE 250mm aftermarket fans available, they just aren't particularly obviously available because most users would never use them. I see a few different models but none of them are from the better known fan manufacturers but the specs on them indicate that they have a max db of about 30db which honestly is no louder than a lot of 140mm fans out there when running full speed. Just, you know, so you know.

Here's just one example. http://www.xoxide.com/xoxide-250mm-case-fan.html

So, they aren't really "proprietary", they just aren't widely adopted so availability is limited to some few manufacturers. That isn't necessarily bad IF you need a fan of this size, because some of those unknown manufacturers have very good quality products. An example of this is the 120mm, 12A 230v AC industrial fan I purchased through one of the local stores by a brand called Y.S. Tech who are based out of Taiwan but whom I'd never heard of before. I fabbed it up to be mounted at the back of the head on my 60 gallon shop compressor to assist the front pulley which acts as a fan to help keep the head cool because where these usually fail early is the valves in the head, and that's usually due to overheating the head. Wired to the pressure switch, this fan only comes on when the compressor comes on.

Between that and adding a bit of beefy iron pipe to act as a heat sink and move the muffler a little further from the intake on the head has allowed this compressor, which I usually run several hours each day, to continue running trouble free for the last ten years or so. Point being, just because it's an oddball doesn't necessarily mean it's worthless.

NTVweYy.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Huh, new one on me, I've seen 230mm, 180mm but never heard of a 250mm before. Not used in a pc case anyway. The only one I found was 1200rpm rated 40db, and 1.5A (useless for mobo use) , which I don't believe for an instant it's that quiet when a Noctua 200mm at 800rpm is @ 20db. Not unless that 40db was measured by the mic from 6ft away....

Appreciate the info, but it's still a gimmick 🤣

Reactions: artk2219
Whether it's a gimmick or not is beside the point. The IDEA that you NEED a pair of 250mm fans, that is the gimmick.

But if you already have that setup or were looking to do something custom, I guarantee you can get both 3 pin DC and 4 pin PWM fans in that size that aren't strictly horrible. Probably no worse than a sickleflow when it comes to noise levels.

And at 250mm you honestly should never need it to run more than half speed, and at even like 500-800rpm those fans should move a lot of air, with pretty low noise levels. But I agree, in practice, I'd much rather have a pair of 140mm fans with good static pressure than anything bigger.

eXPedient Demise

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
www.xpd.co.nz
New build (at last):

New parts :
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Noctua NH-U12S Cooler
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M2
ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-E Wifi motherboard
32GB DDR4 G.Skill (2x 16)
EVGA 700GD PSU

Re-used:
ASUS TUF GTX1650S 4GB
Deep Cool Smarter case
Samsung 27" Curved LED monitor
Steelseries Apex Raw keyboard
Logitech G5 mouse
Logitech G930 headphones

spladam

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
New build (at last):

New parts :
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Noctua NH-U12S Cooler
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M2
ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-E Wifi motherboard
32GB DDR4 G.Skill (2x 16)
EVGA 700GD PSU

Re-used:
ASUS TUF GTX1650S 4GB
Deep Cool Smarter case
Samsung 27" Curved LED monitor
Steelseries Apex Raw keyboard
Logitech G5 mouse
Logitech G930 headphones
Great build, I have an X570 with a 5600X that I want to throw a 5800X in. I'd recommend getting a 6700XT while they are cheap for that 5800X.

I have an X570 Gigabyte Aorus Elite WiFi that a very generous person around here gave to me, and I can't say thanks enough for that, with a 5600G and I have to be completely honest when I say that I am really doubtful anybody NEEDS more than that right now. And yes, my main rig is better than that, but that 5600G is in my garage system and to be honest I can run everydamnthingIwant on it, without any issues, and it might even run better than on my 12700k system, in a lot of things. Just keeping it real.

g-unit1111

Titan
Great build, I have an X570 with a 5600X that I want to throw a 5800X in. I'd recommend getting a 6700XT while they are cheap for that 5800X.

My main rig runs an X570 with a 3900X. I was thinking of upgrading to a 5950X but I don't really see the point to it. I think I might wait and build a whole new rig from scratch with Ryzen 8000 as my case very badly needs to be replaced.

Aug 24, 2023
This isn't a new build, it just keeps getting new parts swapped in every now and again.

Current Spec:

Asus TUF Z790-Plus WiFi D4
Asus TUF RTX 4080 OC
Intel i7-13700K
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 64GB DDR4
Corsair Crystal 570x Case
Corsair H100i RGB Platinum Cooler
Corsair RM1000x PSU
LG 38GN950 Monitor
Das Keyboard Prime 13

d5ldsL.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023
The bend on that 4080 cable looks pretty sharp...

Yeah, the cable is up against the glass case side.
It's not ideal, but the cable is straight at the point where it goes into the connector housing.
There isn't a whole lot I can do about that without getting a different case or a third party 90' adapter.
At least it's not a 4090.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
My work PC is a bit of a sleeper, or more likely a crummy battle station hah. Originally it was because I couldn't get official approval to get an upgraded computer but I COULD get approval for better parts that I could then use for an upgrade (go figure). Now its just because why change it if it aint broke, also it blends in much more than a custom case would. Ive gone from what was originally an Optiplex 7010 with a core I7 3770, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, to a Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gb ram, B350 board, 256GB M.2 SATA SSD, then a Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, B450 board, then a Ryzen 7 5800X3D. Its current config is using a Ryzen 9 7900, 64GB RAM, B650 board, 256GB M.2 NVME SSD, im still using the original 275W Dell Delta PSU though, it has provided enough power for what its been doing over the years. I've also kept using the Wraith Spire that came with the Ryzen 7 1700, its been perfectly capable of cooling all the cpu's ive put it with since they're rarely pushed to 100% for long stretches of time. I had to add an adapter so I could use the power button and lights from the case, an extender for the USB 3 cable was also added since it wasnt quite long enough to reach the port on the board originally, now i just couldnt be bothered to remove it. I didnt feel like reconnecting the usb 2 ports so they're just taped over all classy like on the front, and to anyone not in the know, its just a super old Optiplex 7010 :). The funny part is I think my home rig is less interesting, Cooler Master HAF XB Evo, EVGA 850W fully modular 80+ Gold, Noctua NH-D15, Gigabyte X670, Corsair 64GB RAM, 512GB Samsung NVME SSD, two Toshiba 8TB HDD, one for storage and the other as system backup storage, Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Asrock RX 7900 XTX.

View: https://imgur.com/a/5VcWYuo

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
My work PC is a bit of a sleeper, or more likely a crummy battle station hah. Originally it was because I couldn't get official approval to get an upgraded computer but I COULD get approval for better parts that I could then use for an upgrade (go figure). Now its just because why change it if it aint broke, also it blends in much more than a custom case would. Ive gone from what was originally an Optiplex 7010 with a core I7 3770, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, to a Ryzen 7 1700, 16 gb ram, B350 board, 256GB M.2 SATA SSD, then a Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, B450 board, then a Ryzen 7 5800X3D. Its current config is using a Ryzen 9 7900, 64GB RAM, B650 board, 256GB M.2 NVME SSD, im still using the original 275W Dell Delta PSU though, it has provided enough power for what its been doing over the years. I've also kept using the Wraith Spire that came with the Ryzen 7 1700, its been perfectly capable of cooling all the cpu's ive put it with since they're rarely pushed to 100% for long stretches of time. I had to add an adapter so I could use the power button and lights from the case, an extender for the USB 3 cable was also added since it wasnt quite long enough to reach the port on the board originally, now i just couldnt be bothered to remove it. I didnt feel like reconnecting the usb 2 ports so they're just taped over all classy like on the front, and to anyone not in the know, its just a super old Optiplex 7010 :). The funny part is I think my home rig is less interesting, Cooler Master HAF XB Evo, EVGA 850W fully modular 80+ Gold, Noctua NH-D15, Gigabyte X670, Corsair 64GB RAM, 512GB Samsung NVME SSD, two Toshiba 8TB HDD, one for storage and the other as system backup storage, Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Asrock RX 7900 XTX.

View: https://imgur.com/a/5VcWYuo

Duplicate CD drives! Haven't seen those in a long time!

Reactions: bit_user

TRENDING THREADS