Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 199 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Duplicate CD drives! Haven't seen those in a long time!
In my fileserver, I have a BD-RW drive mostly for making backups of high-value data and an old Plextor DVD drive for its proficiency at ripping CDs. Unfortunately, Plextor's own self-designed drives stopped at IDE/PATA. If you see a Plextor SATA drive, it's one they OEM'd from someone else.

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
In my fileserver, I have a BD-RW drive mostly for making backups of high-value data and an old Plextor DVD drive for its proficiency at ripping CDs. Unfortunately, Plextor's own self-designed drives stopped at IDE/PATA. If you see a Plextor SATA drive, it's one they OEM'd from someone else.
Plextor, the Mercedes of optical drives. Use to have one, great for ripping and backing up your DRM protected discs.

Reactions: bit_user

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, the cable is up against the glass case side.
It's not ideal, but the cable is straight at the point where it goes into the connector housing.
There isn't a whole lot I can do about that without getting a different case or a third party 90' adapter.
At least it's not a 4090.
180 and 90 degree adapters are readily available on Amazon and pretty cheap. Have no issues with mine except slightly tight clearance on the the left but it is fully seated.

Screenshot-20230828-140104-Photos.jpg

g-unit1111

Titan

I still have my BD-R drive on my main rig because a lot of times I do get client requests to rip / burn CDs, it's mainly the government agencies we work with that still require a hard copy.

Reactions: bit_user
Aug 30, 2023
Gpu: Rtx 3060ti gaming trio z msi
Cpu:i5-11400f
Mobo:aorus b560 pro AX
Ram-32GB Corsair vengeance
PSU: thermaltake toughpower 850w
hard drive: Samsung 980 PRO

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
My builds !!
TfNgPCd.jpg

pink and white build for my disabled sister nr 200p upside down mod with the gigabyte z590i vision d itx 10850k , white nzxt X63 280mm AIO , white teamforce argb 16gb ram , powercolor 6650xt sakura hellhound , white cooler master 750w sfx psu
1xclr38.jpg

just built this for my friend rog strix b650-i gaming wifi ,7700 non x , arctic freezer ii argb 280mm aio 450mm red corsair aio tube sleeves , msi gaming z trio 6800xt , gkill z5 cl 30 6000 32gb ram, corsair rm 850w psu in a jonsbo d31 lcd mesh case
Cct5vMX.jpg

my older main Msi mag x570 tomahawk wifi , 5800x3d , gskill neo rgb cl 16 3600 4x8 32gb , arctic freezer ii 360mm argb , powercolor 6900xt red devil , rog thor 850w psu in a thermal take core p3 TG curved
8wdxiTu.jpg

current main Asus rog crosshair x670e gene , 7800x3d , Nzxt X63 280mm aio using the arctic p140 argb fans red aio tube sleeving , Gskill ddr5 z5 cl30 6000 32gb , powercolor 7900xtx red devil LE , corsair hx 1000w psu in a jonsbo d31 lcd soild case

Last edited:

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
the gpu clearance in that Jonsbo D31 looks tight!!!

Nice look on the right angle GPU power cables!
It is the psu is just sitting on the gpu no pressure on it but the HX1000w is like just over 200mm so yes a very tight squeeze !! the 7900xtx is quite big .

where as if you see the msi 6800xt card its smaller and the corsair rm 850w there is plenty of room!!

the right angle connectors i get from Amazon EZDIY-FAB 180 degree GPU plugs they just make the build look neater than having the cables just spewing out and going under the gpu !!

the power color use the normal ones and the msi 6800xt used the reverse ones or vise versa :)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have a i7-2600K that's starting to show its age.

Gskill Sniper DDR3-1600 2x4 GB
In 2020, I upgraded mine to 16 GB and it made a big difference for web browsing (mostly what I use it for).

2x Gigabyte 560 Ti
I'm using the iGPU on a 2560x1440 monitor. Works fine, for non-gaming.

Crucial C300 128 GB SSD
I have one of these (64 GB version)! I got it in 2011, or so. SATA 3 support and had some industry-leading QD=1 read IOPS, at the time. It's in a different PC, which has a M.2 slot. With SSDs being so cheap, I grabbed a Samsung PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive to replace it. The IOPS of the new drive are like 10x, even at QD=1!

D

Deleted member 2950210

My current rig, as seen in my signature. Bought it back on January, reinforced it with 4090 on June. One month ago, i replaced my XPG Lancer RAM modules with the Corsair ones.

CPU: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz

GPU: Inno 3D GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X X3 OC

Motherboard: ASRock Z790 PG Lightning

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB DDR5 (2x32GB) 6600 MT/s

Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1TB M.2 NVME, Western Digital Blue 2TB HDD

PSU: Zalman Watttera 1000W Full Modular 80 Plus Gold

Case: LIAN LI LANCOOL III RGB

IMG-4281.jpg

IMG-4280.jpg

D

Deleted member 2950210

Just be careful, thats obviously not ideal. Look into getting a 180 adapter like I posted a few posts back. That is how meltgate started. Would hate to see you cook your card.

Hey man, thanks for letting me know! Your help, is much appreciated. I just ordered this particular one: Cablemod 12VHPWR Adapter 12VHPWR 180 Degree Variant ''A'' Black.

Is it gonna do the trick?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Hey man, thanks for letting me know! Your help, is much appreciated. I just ordered this particular one: Cablemod 12VHPWR Adapter 12VHPWR 180 Degree Variant ''A'' Black.

Is it gonna do the trick?

I've honestly heard mixed things on Cablemods iteration. They jerked the community around when they "announced" theirs and charge 2x the amount of ones on Amazon that don't do anything differently and are arguably actually worse than Amazon ones and some people had serious problems.

The only thing Cablemods version does better is clip into the card though if you arent moving the cables around it's no an issue.

I'd try and cancel and just order this, or there's a silver one (since you have a white case) from another vendor. They are all the same.

Just make sure you look at their A and B Style. Can't remember if they have their versions reversed or same lettering/orientation.

D

Deleted member 2950210

I've honestly heard mixed things on Cablemods iteration. They jerked the community around when they "announced" theirs and charge 2x the amount of ones on Amazon that don't do anything differently and are arguably actually worse than Amazon ones and some people had serious problems.

The only thing Cablemods version does better is clip into the card though if you arent moving the cables around it's no an issue.

I'd try and cancel and just order this, or there's a silver one (since you have a white case) from another vendor. They are all the same.

Just make sure you look at their A and B Style. Can't remember if they have their versions reversed or same lettering/orientation.

Unfortunately, the reason i ordered Cablemod's adapter, is because it's pretty much the only one available here, in Greece.

If i decided to buy it from abroad, the shipping alone would cost more than the adapter itself, i'm afraid.

D

Deleted member 2950210

@valthuer

AliExpress? They seem to ship to Greece. Just something to consider if yours doesn't work out. Hope it does though.

Well, with an estimated delivery of October the 26th, i wouldn't want to take my chances and wait 'til then.

Not to mention i'd have to deal with the unpredictability of customs clearance cost.

Seems like way too much trouble for one adapter.

I think i'll settle for Cablemod's, but thanks for taking the time to help me!

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Intel Sandy Bridge 2500K w Thermalright 120 Extreme
ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Motherboard
Kingston DDR3 2133mhz 4G 2 x 2G Memory
EVGA 580GTX Graphics Card
Creative Extreme Gamer Fata1ty Pro Soundcard
Western Digital 1TB SATA3 running Win7 Pro 64bit HDD
Western Digital 1TB SATA3 running WinXP Pro 32bit HDD
Silverstone OP1000w Power Supply
Samsung Super Write Master DVDRW
Case is an Antec 900/2 model
IMAG0445.jpg
Your picture doesn't match your listed components.

monttukani

Honorable
Mar 18, 2018
A little build thread for my achievement, that I'm fairly proud of:
After 9 months finished my new custom loop setup featuring an old MO-RA3 360 core from my previous PC,
4x 200mm Noctuas and a EKWB kinetic 300 pump reservoir. All bundled into a plywood box that tries to mimic a stereo speaker.

Computer specs:
Case: be quiet! Pure base 600
PSU: Asus ROG Strix 1000w
Mobo: Asus ProArt X670E-Creator
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6900 XT AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE
RAM: 2x 16Gb Corsair Venegeance 5600Mhz DDR5
HDD: 2 Tb Kingston fury renegade M.2 NVMe
CPU cooler: EK Quantum velocity2

I started the build by buying the computer parts. That was a bad mistake. I should have built the cooler first and then bought the computer parts... Life happens and the build was low in my priority list, but it's done now.
It turned out to be really nice and meets my expectations. Sound level is quiet, although the pump maybe slightly damaged from air bubbles while bleeding. It has a little rattling noise, but it's not audible from under the desk.
Paint still needs fixing around the edges and think I'll add handles to the cooler as it is heavy and rubber feet stick to my hardwood floor. It's hard to move it form under the desk when cleaning the house.

Looks like I can't insert images form google drive, but lets see how this goes...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wuwu and Lucky_SLS