Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 201 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since the start of the year I have replaced:
GPU - 2070 super to 7900XT
CPU - 3600xt to 5800x3d
HDD - replaced storage drive with 4tb ssd
AIO - H100i with a Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360
PSU - Seasonic 750watt with a Corsair RMX1000
Keyboard - K70 rgb mk2 replaced by a Nuphy Halo96
Mouse - Next week probably replace Steelseries Rival 600 with a Logitech G502 X Plus
Ram - not really a replacement but I added 2 corsair Ram enhancement packs... 2 of my ram sticks aren't real, just rgb

I think I have spent enough for one year. I hadn't intended to do all that. It just sort of happened.
Only things left I haven't replaced are:
  1. Motherboard
  2. RAM
  3. Case
  4. Speakers
  5. I can't think of anything else?
So no, I won't be getting the RGB frames. I like how it is now. I had already run out of things I wanted before the AIO was necessary. Now my mouse is acting up.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
IIRC, the rival 600 got haptic feedback right? You would definitely miss that!

Haptics not mentioned on mouse, just has a lift off sensor that was not overly useful to me - https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-600

I have used Steelseries mice for the last 12 years or so, be nice to see what Logitech can do now, its been over 20 since I last had one of theirs. If steelseries wasn't chasing light mice, I wouldn't be swapping.
surprised by you wanting to change the Meshify S2 case. Jut want a smaller one?

no, i don't want to replace it. It was just a list of the few things that survived the year so far anyway. I have no intention of replacing any of those.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My cyber monday upgrade. i9-10900F -> i7-12700KF. $200 for the CPU, and $175 for an ASRock Z690 Steel Legend.

EVGA FTW3 3080Ti with EK waterblock

Apogee XL from Swiftech hooked up to an Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme Liquid Cooler Core.

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200 (running at 3600)

Camera over exposes the blue a lot, much more subtle in person.

agQOXmK.jpeg

YnK83A8.jpeg

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
I had an 8th generation i7 that was showing its age. Even at 3440x1440, I did notice bottlenecks in too many titles, that swayed my decision. My old ram kit couldn't even run XMP stable, so by that metric alone, it's a massive boost. As for choosing Intel over AMD, I don't solely game, and Intel has always been a proven, stable, tried-and-true platform. My only regret was not choosing the APEX instead.

My next upgrade path will 100% be the GPU and snagging one of those newfangled QD-OLED 4K panels. A 4TB sata SSD can't hurt, either.

From

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (delidded)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO RGB
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB (stock)
Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3090 Xtreme 24GB
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
EVGA Supernova 750W G3
WD Black 2TB

To

Meshify 2
Z790 Dark Hero
CR360 Lux D-RGB
32GB DDR5 6400c32
990 Pro x2 2TB
EVGA Supernova 1600W T2
Arctic P14 RGB x3

Before somebody scolds me on the PSU. I know it's overkill, but T2/P2 1200W are extinct, and it was on sale for the same price as the HX1500i, with a far superior OEM (superflower).

Obligatory

M10CnXD.jpg

7SfDeRa.jpg

Last edited:

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
I had an 8th generation i7 that was showing its age. Even at 3440x1440, I did notice bottlenecks in too many titles, that swayed my decision. My old ram kit couldn't even run XMP stable, so by that metric alone, it's a massive boost. As for choosing Intel over AMD, I don't solely game, and Intel has always been a proven, stable, tried-and-true platform. My only regret was not choosing the APEX instead.

My next upgrade path will 100% be the GPU and snagging one of those newfangled QD-OLED 4K panels. A 4TB sata SSD can't hurt, either.

From

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (delidded)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO RGB
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB (stock)
Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3090 Xtreme 24GB
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
EVGA Supernova 750W G3
WD Black 2TB

To

Meshify 2
Z790 Dark Hero
CR360 Lux D-RGB
DDR5 6400c32
990 Pro x2 2TB
EVGA Supernova 1600W T2
Arctic P14 RGB x3

Before somebody scolds me on the PSU. I know it's overkill, but T2/P2 1200W are extinct, and it was on sale for the same price as the HX1500i, with a far superior OEM (superflower).

Obligatory

M10CnXD.jpg

7SfDeRa.jpg
nothing wrong with the psu smart people over kill dumb people have issues and ask WHY or blow up components
build looks great !!

Reactions: plusev

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
nothing wrong with the psu
smart people over kill
dumb people have issues and ask WHY or blow up components

build looks great !!
Wow, I couldn't even parse that, the first time I read it. Please try to add some newlines or periods.

The only issue I see with the PSU is that it's not ATX 3.0 / PCIe 5.0. That's probably why it was on sale! It's Titanium certified, so there shouldn't bee too much drop in efficiency from buying a bigger PSU than you need, but that's the usual argument against going way overboard on the PSU. In general, I agree that it's better to have an excessive PSU than an insufficient one.

Reactions: ilukey77

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Wow, I couldn't even parse that, the first time I read it. Please try to add some newlines or periods.

The only issue I see with the PSU is that it's not ATX 3.0 / PCIe 5.0. That's probably why it was on sale! It's Titanium certified, so there shouldn't bee too much drop in efficiency from buying a bigger PSU than you need, but that's the usual argument against going way overboard on the PSU. In general, I agree that it's better to have an excessive PSU than an insufficient one.
Im not sure on ATX 3.0 and the 600w 12vhpwr cable .. im looking at a new psu just because i want a bigger than 1000w in a smaller form factor and whittled it down to 3
Coolermaster v1300 sfx
Seasonic px 1200 at 160mmx150
Msi 1300w meg A1300ip 160mm x150
I may go a 5090 next gen if AMD drop the ball again !!
( sadly i cant find a 1500w 160mm x150mm PSU :( )
They are all ATX3.0 which plays a big part in my upgrade later !!
BUT
I really wonder if the 12vhwpr cable will vanish as soon as it has arrived after all the trouble Nvidia has had with it cant help but wonder if AMD will stick with the pcie cables and Nvidia will go back to pcie next gen !!

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Im not sure on ATX 3.0 and the 600w 12vhpwr cable .. im looking at a new psu
So, I just bought a PSU without 12VHPWR cable, and did so because:
  1. It's a modular 1000W PSU w/ PCIe 5.0 support.
  2. There's already a new version of that connector.
  3. I assume I can just buy one of those cables for it, when needed.

In fact, if I ultimately end up needing the new version, then it's really not a negative that my PSU didn't include the old one. Am I wrong?

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
So, I just bought a PSU without 12VHPWR cable, and did so because:
  1. It's a modular 1000W PSU w/ PCIe 5.0 support.
  2. There's already a new version of that connector.
  3. I assume I can just buy one of those cables for it, when needed.

In fact, if I ultimately end up needing the new version, then it's really not a negative that my PSU didn't include the old one. Am I wrong?
well that article doesnt tell me much more than its a new connector is it the same 12vhpwr plug or is it pcie to the new connector ?

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
well that article doesnt tell me much more than its a new connector is it the same 12vhpwr plug or is it pcie to the new connector ?
Sounds to me like it's going to be mechanically incompatible, but I haven't followed the matter closely.

In any case, if you get a next-gen GPU, it will use the next-gen version of the connector. So, you'll want a next gen cable. That's my reasoning, at least.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Sounds to me like it's going to be mechanically incompatible, but I haven't followed the matter closely.

In any case, if you get a next-gen GPU, it will use the next-gen version of the connector. So, you'll want a next gen cable. That's my reasoning, at least.
so i wonder if the ATX 3.0 psu is even needed ??

Also ppl aint going to be happy if there new ATX 3.0 psu is now a boat anchor and need a new psu for the new plug !!

It doesnt bother me to much as i can wait a little till more info is released but if its pcie to the new plug great if its 12vhpwr to the new plug then equally great !!

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
so i wonder if the ATX 3.0 psu is even needed ??
It's not just the 12VHPWR cable that's different. This article provides a nice summary of the various improvements:

The main functional improvements (i.e. other than efficiency) seem to be:
  • Increased tolerance for high power spikes, reaching up to 200% of the PSU’s rated power for 100 μs with Intel’s custom set duty cycle.
  • The power supply communicates with the graphics card about its power capabilities through sideband signals.
  • Increased slew rates for transient loads (2.5 – 5x times higher for the +12V rail. They remain the same for the other rails)
  • It is the first time the 12V rail can go up to 12.2V to allow for lower voltage drops with transient loads.
  • Wider load regulation limits for the +12V rail (+5 to -8% on the PCIe connectors and +5 to -7% for the other connectors).
Personally, I wouldn't buy a non-ATX 3.0 PSU, unless you get a good deal on it and you plan on keeping the system you're putting it in, for a long time.

Also ppl aint going to be happy if there new ATX 3.0 psu is now a boat anchor and need a new psu for the new plug !!
Well, if you get a modular PSU, then I expect you can just buy the new cable when you need it.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
It's not just the 12VHPWR cable that's different. This article provides a nice summary of the various improvements:

The main functional improvements (i.e. other than efficiency) seem to be:
  • Increased tolerance for high power spikes, reaching up to 200% of the PSU’s rated power for 100 μs with Intel’s custom set duty cycle.
  • The power supply communicates with the graphics card about its power capabilities through sideband signals.
  • Increased slew rates for transient loads (2.5 – 5x times higher for the +12V rail. They remain the same for the other rails)
  • It is the first time the 12V rail can go up to 12.2V to allow for lower voltage drops with transient loads.
  • Wider load regulation limits for the +12V rail (+5 to -8% on the PCIe connectors and +5 to -7% for the other connectors).
Personally, I wouldn't buy a non-ATX 3.0 PSU, unless you get a good deal on it and you plan on keeping the system you're putting it in, for a long time.

Well, if you get a modular PSU, then I expect you can just buy the new cable when you need it.
thats kinda why i like the 3 psu ive picked they all have both 3 pcie slots min for current AMD gpu's and 1 12vhpwr plug ..

now am i going to go seasonic , MSI or coolermaster im not 100% sure

Reactions: bit_user

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014

Yeah, but ATX 3.0 is already being phased out, though. It would be worse going that route; grabbing any atx 3.0 PSU with the native 12VHPWR connector would be a fools errand. The new standard, ATX 3.1, won't be mainstream for a while yet.

12V-2×6 and ATX 3.1 are the new standards. People should really inform themselves.

View: https://youtu.be/NPM-IESi9Jk?t=2

Last edited:

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
yes and no to my understanding after reading though this briefly that 3.1 is still going to work with 3.0 it just will lose some of the newer features coming with the ATX 3.1 pcie 5.1 platform
https://hwbusters.com/psus/will-my-...ew-cable-psu-gpu-everything-you-need-to-know/

Indeed. It will lose the safety features that will come standard with ATX 3.1. The same safety features you'll lose by staying with any ATX 2.0 PSU. As such, I have no qualms about sticking to Superflower's flagship, as Cablemod will be there to make sure T2/P2s will continue to stay relevant for the RX 50 series.

If somebody is looking to upgrade right now, their hands are tied regardless.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Indeed. It will lose the safety features that will come standard with ATX 3.1. The same safety features you'll lose by staying with any ATX 2.0 PSU. As such, I have no qualms about sticking to Superflower's flagship, as Cablemod will be there to make sure T2/P2s will continue to stay relevant for the RX 50 series.

If somebody is looking to upgrade right now, their hands are tied regardless.
ohh and you can use theATX 3.0 psu with the new cable aslong as you use a 12vhwpr to 12v-2x6 adapter
so i guess unless the 5090 is going to use 2 12v-2x6 plugs the ATX 3.0 psu with only 1 12vhpwr outlet isnt completely dead !!

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, but ATX 3.0 is already being phased out, though. It would be worse going that route; grabbing any atx 3.0 PSU with the native 12VHPWR connector would be a fools errand. The new standard, ATX 3.1, won't be mainstream for a while yet.

12V-2×6 and ATX 3.1 are the new standards. People should really inform themselves.

View: https://youtu.be/NPM-IESi9Jk?t=2
Thanks for the info.

After reading about the differences, I'd still say: if you need to buy a PSU today, prefer to get an ATX 3.0 model. The differences seem pretty minor, and I'm sure ATX 3.1 motherboards will remain backwards compatible with ATX 3.0 PSUs. Furthermore, I expect 12V-2×6 cables will be available for most modular ATX 3.0 PSUs.

For those of us who prefer to read:

It (ATX 3.0) will lose the safety features that will come standard with ATX 3.1. The same safety features you'll lose by staying with any ATX 2.0 PSU.
No, I don't believe so. Source?

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
Thanks for the info.

After reading about the differences, I'd still say: if you need to buy a PSU today, prefer to get an ATX 3.0 model. The differences seem pretty minor, and I'm sure ATX 3.1 motherboards will remain backwards compatible with ATX 3.0 PSUs. Furthermore, I expect 12V-2×6 cables will be available for most modular ATX 3.0 PSUs.

For those of us who prefer to read:

No, I don't believe so. Source?

The answer was covered more in-depth in one of Aristeidis' videos, the title of which I cannot recall. It had been a while. Still, it's very clear at this point that the most recent version has been rushed and not thoroughly tested.

View: https://youtu.be/S4Gj0lkUlSs?t=327

The best course of action is to still avoid PSUs that have the native 12VHPWR connector. It's time stamped!

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The best course of action is to still avoid PSUs that have the native 12VHPWR connector.
I think that's contingent on the idea that you plan to buy a GPU which needs it. I don't ever want something churning out so much heat, nor am I very interested in paying the electricity bills for it, so I don't think it's an issue for me.

I went through the rest of the changes detailed in the link in my above post, and it seems to me that the 12VHPWR -> 12V-2×6 is pretty much the only major improvement. I'll grant that boosting the PCIe slot's max allowed 12V rail excursion from 5.5A to 13.75A sounds good, but I fully expect GPU makers aren't going to build cards that use that extra headroom for a long time to come.