Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 190 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Yep, I have a vacuum for the mesh etc but the compressed air comes in handy for the radiator but you are right, they do cost way to much..

I don't even recommend using those anymore. Just take your vacuum, attach the nozzle extension, run it over the panel - wipe the stragglers off, and done.
Those cans are a money sink, and not very effective either, at least, from my experience... and screw those data vacs!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's nothing wrong with using a vacuum - just don't use it inside the PC and on specific parts.
I take the front and top panels off, take the radiator out, as well as the removable dust filter below the psu, do a couple passes with the vacuum nozzle, and set those parts aside for when I'm done cleaning, after which I put it all back together.

Well, obviously it's not a problem if you're not using it IN the case, where the delicate electronics are located. You do not however want to be vacuuming off the motherboard or graphics card, or CPU cooler that is attached to the motherboard, or fans that are attached to the motherboard, because those are all things that CAN and WILL transmit static electricity. I don't worry about ESD either when working in a case, because in 30+ years I've never had a problem.

Running a vaccum is an ENTIRELY different thing though, because vacuums generation enormous amounts of ESD. That is an irrefutable fact that is not arguable.

This explanation of what to do to AVOID getting shocked when using vacuums is EXACTLY why you don't want to use it near your electronics that are full of copper and other conductive metals. It's exactly what you DON'T want to do.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
To add to this, the dumbest thing I've ever done with my PC hardware was clean my NH-D15S' heatsink with water.
There's some faint brown stains here and there, and using a vacuum doesn't work anymore; that's why I have to take a tiny soft straw brush and get between those fins.
Derp!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The water makes the air methods - vacuum, compressed air - less effective.
Exposure to moisture will cause dust to gain weight and some adhesiveness. It doesn't hurt anything, per se, but future cleanings will require a little more effort.

g-unit1111

Titan
Figured this was as good a place as any to show off my new laptop:

I9BOh1W.jpg

OiCsRKP.jpg

pTmkSZA.jpg

HP Omen 015

Ryzen 7 4800H
16GB DDR4-3200
1TB M2 SSD
1 TB WD Black SN750 (added)
GTX 1660TI
144Hz 15.6" display

I definitely recommend this laptop, it's one of the best I've ever had (so far) except one thing HP's "slim" AC adapter is the size of a car battery and extremely cheap. Otherwise, great laptop. And I've benched the 4800H, it falls somewhere between a desktop 2600 and 3600X. It really is that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: vMax
https://ibb.co/R9r8b6P

VS desktop
4800h with a 45w tdp beats an R5 3600 in single-core R20 and is only 12% slower than a 3700x in r20 multi-core. The 4800h raised to a 72w tdp is only 5% slower than the 3700x in r20 multi-core.

It seems cutting zen2 power draw in half to make a mobile part barely even touches performance vs the full-fledged desktop Ryzen. Insane.

Vs intel mobile
The 45w 4800h leads the 75w 10980hk by 6% in multi-core R20 and slightly better than the i9 in R20 single core.

What i find amazing is that the 4900hs at only 35w beats the 75w 10980hk by 3% in cinebench R20 multi core and by 4% in multi-core and beats the 45w 10980hk even more.

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
https://ibb.co/R9r8b6P

VS desktop
4800h with a 45w tdp beats an R5 3600 in single-core R20 and is only 12% slower than a 3700x in r20 multi-core. The 4800h raised to a 72w tdp is only 5% slower than the 3700x in r20 multi-core.

It seems cutting zen2 power draw in half to make a mobile part barely even touches performance vs the full-fledged desktop Ryzen. Insane.

Yeah I figured it was somewhere between a 3600 and 3700X, that's insane. I am also very glad I did not get the Intel equivalent, which it looks like it didn't even come close to matching.

Just a quick update on the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh...So I have had this case for near on 3 weeks and have just done my first clean up to check on dust build up due to the fairly open nature with the mesh front. With the 360mm AIO in the front, the build up of dust on the fans and radiators was a fair bit though on the inside of the case it was not bad at all....I think the radiator traps most of the dust and a good vacuum job and a can of compressed air did the job...So a monthly dusting is going to be important.

Overall though, this is the best case I have used with airflow and cooling right at the top...great temps both on GPU and CPU..I also finally added the primary 24 pin braided cable in red and white and of course I could not help myself and bought the Lian Li side ARGB strip....all done and yes in glorious rainbow unicorn puke!!!

View: https://imgur.com/05qz8PB

View: https://imgur.com/PC9p4Rz

View: https://imgur.com/KRxuJNm

Just read your quote "The bitterness of poor quality lingers LONG after the sweetness of a cheap "deal" has been forgotten."

Reminds me of my Mom who always drilled into me to never buy cheap and always better to wait and save and buy the right quality item....Must have been hammered into me when young as so many things I bought cheap died a sad death fast! Lessens learned!

Use the air and a soft bristled brush, to loosen any "stuck on" dust. Don't use the vacuum. You WILL end up zapping something eventually if you do. Vacuuming creates tremendous ESD.

TRENDING THREADS