Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Dirt 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascorbate

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Colin McRae Rally 2.0, I remember when I was a sophomore student at college and playing this game with my friends in a PSone on a 14 inch TV. So much fun.

KC5VDJ

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Definitely DiRT Rally!! I guess that would be followed by the F1 series, and also Sebastian Loeb Rally EVO. DiRT Rally definitely would be my favorite though.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My favorite racing game would be: Need For Speed: High Stakes / Road Challenge (1999).

While i also love Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit, the NFS4 has several improvements that i love. E.g career system with car upgrades and money management; visual and physical damage for cars that do impact car's performance; improved police pursuits (in NFS3, when setting up roadblock AI cars avoided colliding with cop car and most of the time, they ran over spike strips, while in NFS4, it's vice-versa. Also the spike strips length is about half than it was in NFS3).

But what i love the most about NFS4 (and older NFS series games) is that you only had your own skill to be the 1st over the finish line. Nowadays, most racing games have some sort of power-up to help the player out. In most cases, it's Nitrous.

kasazn

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
My favorite racing game would be: Need For Speed: Rivals.

I've always been a fan of the Need For Speed series. It all started in the PS1 era, Need For Speed 4: High Stakes.

Other than that, it would be Dirt & Gran Turismo I guess. :)

Stephen-M

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017
My favorite racing game was Acclaims Re-Volt from 1999. It was an arcade type game. Me and my brother played it for hours. We even made our own tracks.

My next favorite racing game was Star Wars Episode 1: Racer. The whole family played that one.

I like simulators (played several flight simulators and America's Army), but I've never found a racing simulator I liked. I've demoed several racing games on consoles over the years at computer stores but didn't enjoy them enough to want to buy a console for one game.

I've also never bought a console because of the visual triangles, even when they get tiny. If it doesn't run on a PC with a good video card, it's not a serious game.

Henry Cortes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2014
I'm going to have to go with Crash Team Racing. That's probably my most played game as a kid. I would always play it with my siblings whenever possible.

Dom_79

Distinguished
When I was young and first getting into playing computers I like a game called Stunts (old DOS game).

I got older, tech progressed and I was playing Cruisin' USA as often as my spending cash from one of several part-time jobs would allow and a rally game that I just can't remember the name of.

Then, since we aren't talking strictly PC gaming, I got into Gran Turismo. Loved that series until number 5 (no offense Johnny ;) ).

Lately I've played some DiRT3 complete Edition... Gymkhana :pfff: :no: Have followed Project Cars (number 2 is coming soon, right?) and Assetto Corsa. Both have their pros and cons. For me the cons outweigh the pros in both so I pass.

Hopefully DiRT4 will be awesome and even if I don't win a copy I'll buy it so I can use my Fallout4/Driving Simulator rig I've built myself for something other than Fallout and Eurotruck Simulator 2 (also not a bad driving game)

gatoral65

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
My favorite racing game... a difficult decision, but I honestly have not has as much fun as trying to master Dirt Rally in a LONG time.

Status
Not open for further replies.