Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Dirt 4

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLakey

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
I cant tell you one favourite, beacause of that im gonna tell you my top 5 racing games (not in any order)

1. Dirt Rally, Its the best rally racing sim i have ever played and until i try dirt 4 its propably gonna stay that way.
2. NFS Underground (the first one), it was my first need for speed and i played the heck out of it, so many good memories.
3. WRC 03 it was the very first racing game and with that the first ever game i had, i got it with my ps2 as a birthday gift when i was 5yo and it was the game that made me fall in love with rallying.
4. Gran Turismo 4, the best ever granturismo imo, the game was just so interesting an there was so much to do.
5. Colin McRae rally 2005, this game was the first rally game i played with a racing wheel and i remember countless nights playing it with my dad. It was the game that i learned to rally, its just awesome.

The top 5 being done i had 2 more games i wwanted to fit there but they didnt quite make it, them being the 2005 most wanted and the hated nfs pro-street, both games i loved as a kid.

Sep 26, 2016
I remember playing Need for Speed: Hot pursuit 2 with a childhood friend on a split screen more than 10 years ago. Never had a better time playing games.

Barrelmaker85

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

My brother and I used to do that with the original hot pursuit. It was so much fun. We would play "tag" where you had to run into the other player. Hide and seek is tough on split screen though, but it was still fun.

Somasonic

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
The Need for Speed series would top my list and I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite. Probably NFS 2 SE - seeing it in all it's 3DFX Glide hardware accelerated glory for the first time is high on my list of best PC gaming moments ever.

ChillaxGaming

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
My answer has to be a three game division due to all of the the games I enjoy. Arcade racer would have to be Burnout Paradise, I probably have like 500 hours invested in that game. It was the perfect balance of open world and prompts to keep you playing between the licenses and the flurry of collectibles. Simulation would have to be Grid 2. While I know it isn't true simulation the cars and the tracks played really well and actually kept me playing until I was done with the game. Overall though my favorite racing game would have to be Midnight Club: Los Angeles. The game was just super fun and had an amazing amount of cars and customization.

IAmAZ3R0

Honorable
May 4, 2016
My favorite racing game I played on PC was DiRT 3: Complete Edition. On PS4 was Need for Speed: Rivals. I use a Logitech G29 for driving.

ZeroRequiem

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Gran Turismo 2 and Need for Speed Underground 2. Can't decide which one. GT2 offered huge selection of cars with the option to change their settings and racing tracks from real life and NFSU2 offered a really fun and entertaining street racing experience. I still play both games from time to time.

czano

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
My favourite racing game of all times is actually Dirt 3. This is for it's amazing multiplayer co-op and against modes. I have spent many many hours with friends racing together.

D

Deleted member 270419

The original Mario Kart, I logged the most hours of any racing game on that one. A close nostalgic second would be a 90s PC game called Stunts . . although it was less about racing and more about who could make the funniest replay crash. :)

A-DOGGER

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
My favourite racing game... Bloody hell, I'd say Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005). The cop chases were just so damn fun. Underground 2 was pretty good, but the cop chases in MW just made it better than U2 IMO. I'm hyped AF for NFSPB!

Joshua Carter

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I think my favorite racing game(s) are probably the old RUSH series back on the N64. There was nothing realistic about them and they never tried to take themselves seriously.
As far as more serious racing/sims go, Dirt Rally is my favorite in recent times. It feels so good to run a clean stage, even as frustrating as the game can be when playing with a gamepad, it's such a satisfying racing experience that it makes up for it and keeps me coming back.

asimepuse

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
I'm torn between NFS Underground 2 and Most Wanted (the original from '05). I think the handling in UG2 was more realistic (and loved those drift races), but the story and pursuits from MW make it the more replayable one.

A standout favorite would be Mario Kart on the SNES. It brings back fond memories of a simpler time in the ol' family home.

My all-time favorite was 2005's Need for Speed Most Wanted, modded with wide-screen support. It had ridiculously bad acting, but at that time, I really enjoyed personalizing the cars, sabotaging other racers with hazards like the giant Donut, and knowing those tracks like the back of my hand. I still make sure that widescreen mod is included in every data backup I do though I never truly intend to revisit the title.

Another great was 1998's Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit. This was back in military police days, and there was one other guy in the barracks that was heavily into PC gaming. He and this game is really where it all started for me as far as doing my own PC upgrades, setting up IPs, and playing over LAN. Just a couple adults playing cops and robbers, basically.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Does anyone remember Blur?

It's an arcade racing game with 4 player local split screen or upto 20 racers online and had powerups like lightning storm, missiles, and turbo.

Game featured real models like Viper, Beetle, Hummer, Mustang, Supra, Camero, ect!

It was an awesome game by Bizarre Creations which unfortunately closed back in 2011.

kchrgmr

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
NFS Porsche Unleashed is my all time favorite. I also liked Road Rash as a kid and it was the first ever PC game i got

C_S

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
"rFactor" has to be my favorite, if only for the huge number of mods and tracks. TOUGHEST driving sim still has to be "Richard Burns Rally" though (PC version).

Honorable mention to : "Grand Prix Legends," which was a tour-de-force back in its day and which was my first foray into online road-racing.

If you aren't racing real people in real time, you're "just waiting.*"

[* borrowing a turn of phrase from Steve McQueen/Michael Delaney]

bloodroses

Distinguished
The original Test Drive 1 & 2 and Pitstop 2 on the Commodore 64
Outrun and Sega Super GT (arcade only)
RC Pro Am, Excitebike, and Micro Machines on NES
Rock n' Roll Racing, F-Zero and Mario Kart on SNES (actually all Mario Karts... lol)
Road Rash series (Genesis, 3DO, PS, Saturn, PC)
Gran Turismo 1&2 (surprised how much was fit into a 'basic' console at the time)

Now for PC:
Viper Racing
FlatOut (multiplayer demolition derby was a blast!)
the Codemasters racers (Grid, Colin McRae, etc)
NFS Porsche Unleashed, Underground, and Shift
Project Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.