Question Tossing up between an i5 9600k and a Ryzen 5 2600x

Jun 16, 2019
Hey all,

Just recently experienced a massive PC mess up and looks like my PSU malfunctioned and fried my motherboard. I originally had an i5 4690k, 16GB RAM and a GTX 970. AIO Corsair watercooler and the usual SSD HDD rig.

Am currently customising my new build and am stuck between the i5 9600k and the Ryzen 5 2600x.

In terms of pricing the 2600x looks cheaper from all the shops I can see in my area, however in terms of performance I've seen reviews on youtube that show the i5 9600k with up to 30fps gain on its AMD counterpart. However I've also been made aware that the AMD CPU use is much less in these scenarios, and would be better for streaming.

I would like to know if anyone on these forums as an i5 9600k and if so whats your experience with it. If anyone else can recommend another CPU that would be in a similar price range I would really appreciate that as well. I am looking to overclock, possibly with another AIO or Noctua fan. Would be pairing it with an RTX 2070 and 16GB of 3000Mhz RAM.

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,
Tchopa

If deciding now and over the next week, every day that you wait brings the 3600X and 3700X into contention, which both might lay waste to your current choices anyway for similar dollars.. Both of the aforementioned processors hit retail shelves (or at least AMazon/Newegg) on 7 July or thereabouts..

I''d recommend waiting 20 days unless simply not feasible...

(naturally, the GTX970 will limit you to medium-high settings on many games at 1080P, but, either of the above newer CPUs should carry you much farther once upgrading GPUs as well...)

Reactions: Tchopa747
Jun 16, 2019
If deciding now and over the next week, every day that you wait brings the 3600X and 3700X into contention, which both might lay waste to your current choices anyway for similar dollars.. Both of the aforementioned processors hit retail shelves (or at least AMazon/Newegg) on 7 July or thereabouts..

I''d recommend waiting 20 days unless simply not feasible...

(naturally, the GTX970 will limit you to medium-high settings on many games at 1080P, but, either of the above newer CPUs should carry you much farther once upgrading GPUs as well...)

Thanks Mate