Apr 22, 2024
Hello everyone, I have looked on many threads and only found one talking about this issue in 2013 HERE, and there is not many threads on this out there beyond that. I posted to that thread also, but reaching out to new threads to try and restart this conversation.

I want to record and broadcast video in my workshop space eventually, with 8 Logitec C920x cameras, and do minor editing. I figured out about bandwidth problems after buying 3, trying to run them in obs with my macbook air M2, all through active cables and a powered USB hub. I found out what people in the above thread discovered/knew, that this was not possible due to bandwidth issues. I could get 2 of the logitecs working and my webcam. Never 3 logitecs at the same time. I went down a rabbit hole and ended up reading articles on using multiple USB controllers like mentioned above, which seemed to work for them, and possibly the issues were coming from their motherboard or CPU not being able to process that many cameras through it. (Guessing For lack of understanding on that one )

So I popped over to micro center and asked them for help and in 2024 people are still stumped including them, my IT friends, and anyone else I ask. Most I've heard connected was 3 to a computer that ran through obs, which is the system I will be using to control everything. I think it could have done more and I will be asking another friend about that soon who now has that computer, but that's my only confirmation, including YouTube videos I've searched on the topic

Micro center recommended buying these to get it done but we're willing to say they were only 90% sure, which I appreciate the honesty.

Motherboard
RAM
CPU
CPU Heatsink/Fan
USB Controller
Power Supply
Case

A friend recommended the graphics card below, but we are both unsure if it is needed for just streaming and recording video of activity in my shop, along with minor post editing of all the recordings. Also, they said the case micro center recommended was sub par and suggested this one .
Graphics card
Better Case

So all in all with this setup I should theoretically be able to power many cameras, hopefully 8(4 usb ports on motherboard and 4 on usb controller, I think 2 ports on the case, and I have hubs that possibly could help connect more if bandwidth is still there. Which I think it can possibly run 10+ total cameras. For what I'm doing, instead of moving cameras around constantly, it would be nice to set them and forget them, and maybe have 1 or 2 that are mobile.

I would love to hear if anyone has any updates on this idea, as I can save money by going with this camera setup, instead of investing in a network camera system. I think it could be pretty cool if this all works out. I might go through with it to see since people seem pretty confident, and I will post back and share with everyone if it works.

Thanks for any help,
Unkle Earth

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What you want to do, is tall order since it falls into niche of PC usage. Hence why not many know about it and why it's hard to find info about it.

In a nutshell, what you are trying to accomplish is security network where all cameras connect to one PC.

Here, i suggest that you contact few security firms who also install home security cameras, to learn how they set up multiple cameras that all connect into single system. And while you want to use your array of cameras for livestreaming/broadcast, rather than monitoring certain area for security, the hardware setup is still the same.

Hardware setup wise, i'd look into capture cards. Since connecting all 8x cameras directly to PC would overload CPU compute power, when CPU has to compute/render all 8x live feeds at once. Capture card is the one that does the rendering part for the CPU, allowing you better quality and less impact on CPU.
Further reading: https://www.avaccess.com/blogs/guides/video-capture-card-a-useful-tool/

PC setup wise, that depends. Namely, if you do post-processing/video editing with PC as well or use the feed from capture cards for direct upload. If you use capture cards for direct upload, the PC doesn't have to be powerful one. But for video editing, you'd need plenty of RAM and maybe also good GPU, if you do most of the render with GPU.
But PSU you linked is a poor one. Better get Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi or Super Flower Leadex series.

But before buying the PC, do contact security firm and ask their help in selecting proper hardware. Since after all, they are experts in setting up multiple camera systems.

Reactions: Unkle_Earth
Apr 22, 2024
Thank you, giving a call to a few today, so far no luck, just people saying those are old systems and they don't use anymore, left some messages with sales teams places too, fingers crossed I get an answer.

Thank you for detailed response!

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Essentially every shopping mall/big enterprise building has their own internal security camera network, whereby all cameras are connected and output their live feed into security room and security officer then monitors the live feed from monitors. Also, all the security feed is also recorded (it is even mandated by the law in many countries). Compared to that, what you want to do, isn't anything different. Hardware wise, it still is the same. Just need to find the firm/company who is willing you to help you setting up yours.

You do not even have to tell the purpose of what you use the camera network for (since after all, it's not their business). All you need, is the know-how on how to set it up.

Edit: the Cooler Master Q300L PC case is actually more versatile PC case than the Lian-Li one. And unless you love unicorn puke fans, there is no value in Lian-Li PC case, other than it costing far more.
E.g Q300L has modular I/O panel that you can set up to 6x different positions, according to your needs. Also, you can comfortably lay the PC on it's side. No such luxury with Lian-Li case, that must stand upright.
Q300L specs: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-tower/masterbox-q300l/

But depending on the solution you end up with, you may not get away with mini-ITX/micro-ATX MoBo. Instead, you may need to get full sized ATX MoBo which has plenty of USB ports. Also, ATX MoBo is far better suited for internal capture cards. Or you can use external capture cards as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unkle_Earth

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you, giving a call to a few today, so far no luck, just people saying those are old systems and they don't use anymore, left some messages with sales teams places too, fingers crossed I get an answer.

Thank you for detailed response!
I would highly recommend IP based cameras rather than USB. IP cameras can be powered by a POE ethernet switch and be up to 100m from the switch. No cabling issues with powered hubs, etc.
IP cameras have compression hardware built-in to allow multiple cameras to run to a single host. Eight 1080P or even a mix of 1080P and 4K IP cameras is not an issue.
I bet that USB cameras don't do compression on the USB link. They utilized the host to do the compression and formatting.

Apr 22, 2024
Essentially every shopping mall/big enterprise building has their own internal security camera network, whereby all cameras are connected and output their live feed into security room and security officer then monitors the live feed from monitors. Also, all the security feed is also recorded (it is even mandated by the law in many countries). Compared to that, what you want to do, isn't anything different. Hardware wise, it still is the same. Just need to find the firm/company who is willing you to help you setting up yours.

You do not even have to tell the purpose of what you use the camera network for (since after all, it's not their business). All you need, is the know-how on how to set it up.

Edit: the Cooler Master Q300L PC case is actually more versatile PC case than the Lian-Li one. And unless you love unicorn puke fans, there is no value in Lian-Li PC case, other than it costing far more.
E.g Q300L has modular I/O panel that you can set up to 6x different positions, according to your needs. Also, you can comfortably lay the PC on it's side. No such luxury with Lian-Li case, that must stand upright.
Q300L specs: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-tower/masterbox-q300l/

But depending on the solution you end up with, you may not get away with mini-ITX/micro-ATX MoBo. Instead, you may need to get full sized ATX MoBo which has plenty of USB ports. Also, ATX MoBo is far better suited for internal capture cards. Or you can use external capture cards as well
Thank you so much for this, I think that is a good plan to go with a full size motherboard with plenty of usb ports and good internal capture cards inside. If I need to add more I can in that case. As for the cooler master , that's a good feature being able to lay it on its side, I am tight for space so that definitiely helps.

Apr 22, 2024
I would highly recommend IP based cameras rather than USB. IP cameras can be powered by a POE ethernet switch and be up to 100m from the switch. No cabling issues with powered hubs, etc.
IP cameras have compression hardware built-in to allow multiple cameras to run to a single host. Eight 1080P or even a mix of 1080P and 4K IP cameras is not an issue.
I bet that USB cameras don't do compression on the USB link. They utilized the host to do the compression and formatting.
I would like to go the usb route cause that's what I have on hand, and I'm trying to avoid spending thousands hooking up that sort of system. I agree usb is a hassle but I think I'm gonna try to see this out to the bitter end.

kanewolf

Titan
I would like to go the usb route cause that's what I have on hand, and I'm trying to avoid spending thousands hooking up that sort of system. I agree usb is a hassle but I think I'm gonna try to see this out to the bitter end.
IP cameras are less than $100 / each. A POE switch also $100.
Good luck with USB. You are trying to use an interface in a way it was not designed to, IMO.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Software wise, i'm personally using iSPY to connect several USB webcams to my one PC,
link: https://www.ispyconnect.com/

iSPY is open source video surveillance software which lets you to hook up many different cameras, record the feed, take timed screenshots and also offers motion sensor.

Note: Download option gives you Agent DVR by default but from drop-down menu, you can select iSPY as well. Agent DVR is same as iSPY, but uses less CPU since it works online and can be used remotely (via browser), while iSPY itself runs on your PC as standalone program.

iSPY even has nice guide on how to reduce impact on PC,
link: https://www.ispyconnect.com/docs/ispy/about

So, software wise iSPY is great, but without post-processing beforehand (which capture card would otherwise do), recording raw live feed from several cameras at once will bog down the system. Especially when your cameras have high reso with good frame rate (e.g 1080p, 60 FPS).