Nextgenthebear

Honorable
Dec 23, 2016
Hey so I've recently bought a new monitor https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG248QE-1920x1080-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0 and I've been trying to set it to 144hz, but the most I can go to is 60hz. I've tried updating everything like my drivers and my OS but it's still stuck at 60. Cant seem to find anything on the monitor's settings and I've even tried doing it in GeForce and changing the resolution to PC 1920x1080 but the max is 60. I know my current GPU Hz is maxed at 60 so i tried plugging it into my mother board for intels graphics and updated them but still capped. I'm currently using an HDMI that said it was good for 120Hz https://www.ebay.com/itm/202983121834?hash=item2f42bca3aa:g:oQsAAOSwVIthJ3~C . When i try to use something like Custom Resolution Utility i can set it up and the 120Hz option will pop up but my monitor says its out of range. My Current setup is:
i7-8900k
gtx 1050
16gb ram

msi tomahawk z370

Thanks for all feedback <3

Solution
Hdmi isn't always limited to 60hz depending on monitor but that one is. You need DVI Dual Link or Displayport cable, monitor supports both. If your card has Displayport which im hoping it does then get Club3D (reliable DP cable brand) from Amazon and it'll work.

Most DP cables will work but quality can be shady. Vesa introduced QA certification system to stamp out dodgy made cables. Club3D is certified and few others like Accell and Startech.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hdmi isn't always limited to 60hz depending on monitor but that one is. You need DVI Dual Link or Displayport cable, monitor supports both. If your card has Displayport which im hoping it does then get Club3D (reliable DP cable brand) from Amazon and it'll work.

Most DP cables will work but quality can be shady. Vesa introduced QA certification system to stamp out dodgy made cables. Club3D is certified and few others like Accell and Startech.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nextgenthebear
Solution
bignastyid .... is right but i am wondering if you have missed something really obvious , right click on an empty space on desktop and click on display settings , now scroll down and click on advanced , what is the refresh rate set to.