Question Turbo Boost works.......just in reverse.

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Hi, I have been having a very weird problem with my laptop lately. Laptop is an HP Pavillion 15 ab249ne. The thing is that whenever I try to play any games on it, the turbo boost kicks in and every 2 or 3 seconds the game stutters and lags like hell then goes back to normal for a split second and then back to the lagging and stuttering. Turns out when the processor comes under load the processor speed goes all the way down to 0.399Ghz. So, using throttle stop, I can disable turbo boost which makes the processor run at 2.49Ghz constantly. This fixes the turbo boost problem. Temperature seems to be fine, never going above 70C while playing games. Does anybody have any idea why it might be acting like this.

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04997008
Per the specs to that laptop, I'm curious, can you elaborate on;
whenever I try to play any games on it,
this line for me? Please list all the titles that you're taxing your laptop with.

As for your laptop, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on? As for your platform entirely, did you also try and disassemble the laptop to see if there's dust/debris clogging the cooling vents/assembly? It'd be a good idea to swap the factory applied thermal paste with something higher in pedigree.

Turn turbo boost back on and find out why this is happening. Open the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons window. Does it show power limit throttling like PL1 or PL2 lighting up red? Does it show BD PROCHOT lighting up red? What is the CPU temperature when this throttling happens?

It sounds like a BD PROCHOT throttling problem. Try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main ThrottleStop screen to see if this severe throttling problem goes away. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots while your computer is throttling. You can also turn on the Log File option and then post a log file from when your computer is throttling. Exit ThrottleStop after you are finished testing so it can finalize the log file. You can copy and paste log file data to www.pastebin.com

You can use www.imgur.com or any similar image hosting site to upload some screenshots to.

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Happy New Year!

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04997008
Per the specs to that laptop, I'm curious, can you elaborate on;
whenever I try to play any games on it,
this line for me? Please list all the titles that you're taxing your laptop with.

As for your laptop, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on? As for your platform entirely, did you also try and disassemble the laptop to see if there's dust/debris clogging the cooling vents/assembly? It'd be a good idea to swap the factory applied thermal paste with something higher in pedigree.
I play CSGO, Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Dawn, Victoria 3 and Hearts of Iron 4. All of these stutters and lag a lot while playing with brief moments of smooth gameplay.
The BIOS version is F.90 or something. Imgur says can't make account in your region. Pastebin doesn't let me upload screenshots. I did open up the laptop, it wasn't too dusty, but I cleaned it anyway. Didn't dare to touch the CPU and its surroundings.

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Turn turbo boost back on and find out why this is happening. Open the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons window. Does it show power limit throttling like PL1 or PL2 lighting up red? Does it show BD PROCHOT lighting up red? What is the CPU temperature when this throttling happens?

It sounds like a BD PROCHOT throttling problem. Try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main ThrottleStop screen to see if this severe throttling problem goes away. Post some ThrottleStop screenshots while your computer is throttling. You can also turn on the Log File option and then post a log file from when your computer is throttling. Exit ThrottleStop after you are finished testing so it can finalize the log file. You can copy and paste log file data to www.pastebin.com

You can use www.imgur.com or any similar image hosting site to upload some screenshots to.
I did the log file thing and pasted it here DATE TIME MULTI C0% CKMOD BAT_mW TEMP VID POWER2023-01- - Pastebin.com

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Update:
I have just noticed that apart from 0.399Ghz thing it also stutters and lags even while the cpu clock is close to 3Ghz but when this is the case, the cpu utilization simply drops below 20%.

The ThrottleStop log file does not show any drops to 0.399 GHz. Did you use ThrottleStop to make any changes to fix this throttling problem?

it also stutters and lags even while the cpu clock is close to 3Ghz
I am guessing that your computer has a Core i7-6500U CPU. This CPU only has two cores and a low 15 watt TDP power rating. The log file shows some power limit throttling at 15 watts. That is what Intel's low power U series CPUs are designed to do. They slow down as much as necessary so they do not exceed 15 watts long term.

The log file also shows that there are times when your computer is simply overloaded. It is doing all it can possibly do. A seven year old low power two core CPU is not enough computing power to play games smoothly.

It is time for an upgrade if smooth game play is important to you.

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
The ThrottleStop log file does not show any drops to 0.399 GHz. Did you use ThrottleStop to make any changes to fix this throttling problem?

I am guessing that your computer has a Core i7-6500U CPU. This CPU only has two cores and a low 15 watt TDP power rating. The log file shows some power limit throttling at 15 watts. That is what Intel's low power U series CPUs are designed to do. They slow down as much as necessary so they do not exceed 15 watts long term.

The log file also shows that there are times when your computer is simply overloaded. It is doing all it can possibly do. A seven year old low power two core CPU is not enough computing power to play games smoothly.

It is time for an upgrade if smooth game play is important to you.
It actually does slow down to 0.399Ghz like here https://drive.google.com/file/d/14eu_Nvkk171zH0UwU8A17rQfd1pynwW4/view?usp=share_link
Thanks for the reply by the way. Also, it sometimes gives a random video scheduler internal error or a memory exemption something error.
Anyways I guess the laptop is probably too old for newer games, I mean it did run older games just fine. Anyways thanks for looking at that scary looking log file and making some sense out of it.

It actually does slow down to 0.399Ghz like here
Afterburner does not always accurately track the MHz of Intel Core i CPUs.

ThrottleStop follows the Intel recommended monitoring method. The log file you posted did not show a single instance of the CPU MHz dropping down to the minimum speed like your screenshot is showing. You can trust what the log file is showing you.

I guess the laptop is probably too old for newer games
That is the main problem.

Newer software is written by programmers that are using newer hardware. Programmers do not pay close attention to making sure their code is efficient and will run smoothly on older hardware. Constant upgrading is part of the game.

TRENDING THREADS