jchappj

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I am currently using Road Runner cable and am building a second computer. I was hoping I could get help on how to get this second comp on my cable modem. The comp connected is using a 3Com 3c900B and I have another one available to install on the new comp. Any and all info appreciated as I am a real newbie to building (but not afraid to jump right in!).
Jack

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
there are 2 basic, easy way of sharing your cable connection...
1) you could buy a cable/dsl router. that'll cost you around 100 bucks. kinda expensive but it does the job.

2) you can run a proxy server/program. with this you'll need a second network card in the computer with the cable connection. win98se and better yet winME comes with ics(internet connection sharing) winME even has a home network wizard which makes ife lot more easier.
the downside of proxy server is that you must keep the connected computer on, in order for the other computer to get internet connection...

what you'll need: 3 nic(2 on main computer, 1 for the client computer) eighter a network hub or a crossover ethernet cable... i hope this will help you a little bit.

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

jchappj

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks Flavio! I like the router idea, as I really don't want to have to have both on at once. Do you (or anyone) have any recomendations? What would I need to know about my present cable connection to get this to work?

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
in that case all you need is a router. any router like netgear, linksys, 3com will do. you connect the ethernet cable from the cable modem to the router. and 2 ethernet cables leading to your comps NIC. that's all to it. set the the tcp/ip to obtain ip automatically. it should all come with the instructions.
the router itself acts a firewall. so if you want to d/l a file from another comp behind a firewall, you might not be able to. but that's a small price to pay for firewall protection.

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This is a pretty common product that you might want to look into: LINKSYS ETHERFAST CABLE/DSL ROUTER W/ 4-PORT 10/100 SWITCH

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

jchappj

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks Rob. The BEFSR41 is the unit I decided on and purchased earlier today. Buy.com has them on sale for $104. I thought that was a pretty good deal.