sighnbox

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hi there my system is now about 3 years old and time for an upgrade. I’m looking for a versatile comp but do lots of photo and video editing but the comp is all so used for music/muti media and general use. I don't do any gaming at all .............. Its deff going to be an i7 but first consideration do I go 1366 0r 1155 socket? At the mo I’m leaning towards 1155 socket with an i7 2600K

I have a 850 coolermaster silent pro M PSU, two LG bluray burner drives, and two western digital caviar black (sata3) 1TB drives, 3 x icy box caddies .........This lot will be out the old system and going into the new tho I may use the WD drives for storage drives and invest in the same again but SATA 6 ones for OS and first main storage (scratch drive). I think case wise it has to be the Coolermaster Cosmos. I all so have XP on one drive in a caddy and 32bit windows 7 on another drive in a caddy I may add a 3rd and all so have windows 7 64bit.

I deff want to go with an Asus board but for my needs what can people recommend I’m currently looking at the Asus P8P67 Deluxe (any comments?) I am presuming the deluxe version is above the pro version? Would this be a good board for my needs or should I be looking at one of the Z68 boards .....What’s the difference between P67 and Z68 boards if I did go z68 what would people recommend as there’s even more versions than the P67 range.

Any help greatfull recived as I'm still not sure what socket let alone what board ................................

michxymi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

How much money you are about to spend?

sighnbox

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Well lets start with the best and if to much I can work backwards if it ends up to much But with New board, new processor, new RAM, new case, new CPU cooler poss new HD im geting on for £800 odd quid.

sighnbox

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Ill expand on that ..................Well lets start with what would be the best and if it ends up to much money I can work backwards. But with New board, new processor, new RAM, new case, new CPU cooler, new graphics card poss new SATA 6 HD's (tho the old SATA 3 drives are fine so would do) im geting on for £800 odd quid I recon. I only do a rebuild every 3 odd years as you can see from what I have now. So thats not to bad a spend over 3 years ( I tend not to upgrade but scrap what I have after 2-3 years and start more or less again)

michxymi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
There's a cheap option without sacrificing that much perfomance!

Keep PSU, HDDs and memory!

And get Phenom II X6 1090T, Asrock 880G Pro 3, another 4GB of ram total 8, a good CPU Heatsing.

michxymi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Then get a 2600K along with a good Z68 motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 is a solid one), 16GB of RAM (1333MHz), keep your old disks and RAID-1 them, and add a small SSD (Intel 320 series 40GB) as long as a cheap Nvidia Quadro for GPU Accelerated features!