Question Unable to control fan speed through bios or speedfan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
Unable to control fan speed through bios or speedfan.

My CPU and Exhaust fan can either run at full speed or at bare minimum.
CPU Fan - connected to motherboard's CPU FAN header 4 Pin
Exhaust/Rear Fan - connected to motherboard's H AMP FAN header 4 pin

Both the fans are 4 pin and I am not using any external software, still I can't set any curves or set them to automatic both the fans just run at a constant speed.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Tell us what mobo - maker and exact model. ALSO tell us make and model of your fans. At very least, tell us how many holes there are in the connector on the end of the fans' wires. This has a big impact on HOW you must configure the options for your fan headers in BIOS Setup.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
Tell us what mobo - maker and exact model. ALSO tell us make and model of your fans. At very least, tell us how many holes there are in the connector on the end of the fans' wires. This has a big impact on HOW you must configure the options for your fan headers in BIOS Setup.

Mobo - Asus strix z270f
Exhaust - Noctua NF F12 PWM 4 Pin
CPU - Coller Master Hyper 212x 4 Pin PWM

Mobo - Asus strix z270f
Exhaust - Noctua NF F12 PWM 4 Pin
CPU - Coller Master Hyper 212x 4 Pin PWM

Forget about and uninstall Speedfan, it hasn0t been updated in years to suit newer HW and may interfere with BIOS settings,
In BIOS make sure tha appropriate headers are set for PWM operation and speed curve is set to adjust with temperature from appropriate sensor.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
Forget about and uninstall Speedfan, it hasn0t been updated in years to suit newer HW and may interfere with BIOS settings,
In BIOS make sure tha appropriate headers are set for PWM operation and speed curve is set to adjust with temperature from appropriate sensor.

Have done it already, not working at all.
Standard, silent, turbo, full speed and manual none of the options are working in bios. The fans just don't ever reciprocate to the curve on any of the options and even on manual. Even if the temp reaches to 65-70c the fans just spin at a constant min. speed and never ramps up on any of the options.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, your system has only two fans in total: the CPU cooler by Cooler Master plugged into the CPU_FAN header, and one rear exhaust fan by Noctua plugged into the H_AMP_FAN header. That's all, right?

The specs for those say their max speeds are 2000 RPM on the Cooler Master, and 1500 RPM on the Noctua. Where are you reading the actual speeds? In BIOS Setup, or using the ASUS utility AI Suite 3? What are those speeds?

As a quick check of function, try this to gather info. Open your case so you can watch those two fans closely immediately after start-up. Reboot your machine and watch what they do. The normal sequence at start-up is that all fans are started at full speed. AFTER a few seconds as the POST process completes and the system gets actual fan speed and temperature readings, each fan slows down to the slower speed required for a cool system. So, do BOTH your fans start fast and then slow down?

You report results you get when using BIOS Setup to observe and set options. Of course, you can use that only when your machine is not doing normal activities. To observe and set such things as fan cooling system while actually working, you need to be using the AI Suite 3 utility from your mobo's DVD disc. That set of tools (including Fan Xpert) is a Windows app you can run under normal Windows operations so you see information in real-world conditions. But NOTE this. IF you have that utility running it may well remember whatever settings it has and over-ride whatever you set in BIOS Setup so that the Fan Xpert settings take over while you are running normally. You should look in AI Suite 3 and Fan Xpert to see what settings have been made there and what the real fan speeds are under various conditions.

I think you have the correct settings figured out. In the BIOS Setup screen for QFan Control (mobo manual p. 3-7) for each of those fan headers the option at upper right should be PWM, and the PROFILE choice available below the graph should be Standard to start with - this is the pre-set automatic control that SHOULD adjust your fan speeds according to measured temperatures at the relevant sensors. When using Fan Xpert under AI Suite 3, you should have similar options set.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
So, your system has only two fans in total: the CPU cooler by Cooler Master plugged into the CPU_FAN header, and one rear exhaust fan by Noctua plugged into the H_AMP_FAN header. That's all, right?

The specs for those say their max speeds are 2000 RPM on the Cooler Master, and 1500 RPM on the Noctua. Where are you reading the actual speeds? In BIOS Setup, or using the ASUS utility AI Suite 3? What are those speeds?

As a quick check of function, try this to gather info. Open your case so you can watch those two fans closely immediately after start-up. Reboot your machine and watch what they do. The normal sequence at start-up is that all fans are started at full speed. AFTER a few seconds as the POST process completes and the system gets actual fan speed and temperature readings, each fan slows down to the slower speed required for a cool system. So, do BOTH your fans start fast and then slow down?

You report results you get when using BIOS Setup to observe and set options. Of course, you can use that only when your machine is not doing normal activities. To observe and set such things as fan cooling system while actually working, you need to be using the AI Suite 3 utility from your mobo's DVD disc. That set of tools (including Fan Xpert) is a Windows app you can run under normal Windows operations so you see information in real-world conditions. But NOTE this. IF you have that utility running it may well remember whatever settings it has and over-ride whatever you set in BIOS Setup so that the Fan Xpert settings take over while you are running normally. You should look in AI Suite 3 and Fan Xpert to see what settings have been made there and what the real fan speeds are under various conditions.

I think you have the correct settings figured out. In the BIOS Setup screen for QFan Control (mobo manual p. 3-7) for each of those fan headers the option at upper right should be PWM, and the PROFILE choice available below the graph should be Standard to start with - this is the pre-set automatic control that SHOULD adjust your fan speeds according to measured temperatures at the relevant sensors. When using Fan Xpert under AI Suite 3, you should have similar options set.

No my system has a total 5 fans, 3 as intakes - Corsair SP 120 comes with the case 3 pin DC that's why didn't mention those and for the other two "Yes" you're correct.
You got the speeds right for both the fans.

Reading the speeds on HW Monitor while playing games - Even if the temp reaches to 65-70c the fans just spin at a constant min. speed and never ramps up on any of the options. I can also see the fans clearly not ramping up at all.
CPU Fan speed - 783 RPM approx. and Exhaust Fan speed - 450 RPM approx. while playing even when the temps are above 70c.

I can set them to DC but then it will be too loud or as PWN but at a constant speed.
Yes they start fast and then slow down after the post.

Ai suite 3 is just going to over ride bios settings, why should I use that I don't see any point in using it over bios settings.
Both the fans are set as PWM under Qfan control and I have tried all the options - Standard, silent, turbo, full speed and manual none of the options are working in bios. The fans just don't ever reciprocate to the curve on any of the options and even on manual. Even if the temp reaches to 65-70c the fans just spin at a constant min. speed and never ramps up on any of the options.

The best I can do is to run them at any constant speed which I have set and make them run at that constant speed so as to keep the temps under 70c, say If for PWM I have set them at 70% both the fans run at at that speed only even while idling.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, I am pretty sure that AISuite 3's Fan Xpert and ANY third-party utility that will show you fan info and allow you to set new configurations is ONLY doing that by changing settings in BIOS! Measurement of temperatures at specified sensors and control the fan action all is done ONLY by the low-level routines in BIOS. Any utility wanting to change that really has to change a setting in BIOS. A polite utility may well start out by storing the initial start-up settings in place when it first initializes after start-up, and restoring those if it is shut down. Even if it does not, the next time you boot up the normal initialization routines in BIOS WILL restore the settings YOU have made AND stored in BIOS Setup. AFTER that if some software routine is started and changes things by altering the settings in BIOS's active memory area, they will take over until the next reboot.

Try this. UNinstall HWMonitor. See if that changes anything. Go into Fan Xpert through AI Suite 3 and check just how it is set up, and change anything THERE you do not like. See if that changes the system behaviour.

If neither of those changes anything, then I have to suspect some other software is doing this. It is NOT running when you are in BIOS Setup so when you are THERE you CAN change fan speeds. Something else is changing those settings after you exit BIOS Setup and the system boots normally.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
Actually, I am pretty sure that AISuite 3's Fan Xpert and ANY third-party utility that will show you fan info and allow you to set new configurations is ONLY doing that by changing settings in BIOS! Measurement of temperatures at specified sensors and control the fan action all is done ONLY by the low-level routines in BIOS. Any utility wanting to change that really has to change a setting in BIOS. A polite utility may well start out by storing the initial start-up settings in place when it first initializes after start-up, and restoring those if it is shut down. Even if it does not, the next time you boot up the normal initialization routines in BIOS WILL restore the settings YOU have made AND stored in BIOS Setup. AFTER that if some software routine is started and changes things by altering the settings in BIOS's active memory area, they will take over until the next reboot.

Try this. UNinstall HWMonitor. See if that changes anything. Go into Fan Xpert through AI Suite 3 and check just how it is set up, and change anything THERE you do not like. See if that changes the system behaviour.

If neither of those changes anything, then I have to suspect some other software is doing this. It is NOT running when you are in BIOS Setup so when you are THERE you CAN change fan speeds. Something else is changing those settings after you exit BIOS Setup and the system boots normally.

I have found the problem after installing AI suite 3, but the problem still persists.
Both the bios and AI suite 3 are reading the CPU temperature as 11c always and that is why the fans are spinning at a minimum speed.
I have checked this while playing games as well, if I am running above 60c it is going to run at the lowest speed of the curve and won't go beyond that.
If I am manually setting the min point of the fan curve to 40% the fans will always spin at 40% only and won't ever go beyond that coz it's always reading the temp as 11c.
However, other softwares such as HW monitor are reading the correct temps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kOCSChF_hMgd64VQYe0d_y1DXKgP4cWR/view?usp=sharing
Please check the above screenshot, my temps are around 65c, AI suite 3 is detecting it as 11c so does the bios as I have checked it there as well.
Look at the fan curve, at 65c temp the CPU fan should be at 70% speed, however it is running at min. speed of the curve which is at 35% and the speed is 833 RPM, where it should be around 1700 RPM.
Same goes for the Noctua NF F12 exhaust fan, I have checked but in the above image I have set it at a constant min. speed of 1100 RPM.

So, how do I solve this now? I think it's the problem with the sensor on the board.

Edit: I am also running the latest bios and have also checked for bios update and there isn't any available.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Contact ASUS Tech Support. Since HWMonitor CAN see the correct CPU temperatures (including the one called "Package", which should be used) there is nothing wrong with the sensor OR with the way that BIOS gets that reading from the sensor inside the CPU chip. The problem is in how AI Suite 3 and Fan Xpert get their info from the BIOS. Either it is getting the wrong data, or it is re-scaling it incorrectly. Ask them how this happens and how to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.