Question Unable to get PlayStation Remote Play to work after Windows/GPU Update

Grey Aria

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
I haven't been unable to get PSRemote Play to work since a recent Windows update, an Intel GPU update and an nVidia update. Before these updates, I had been using it successfully for at least 9 months.

After trying to launch the app on my pc, it pops up for about 10 seconds, gets maybe 2/3 of the way into the checking for updates progress bar, then just vanishes, no error codes, no nothing. I have scoured task manager for any instances of it and can't find anything there.

Here's a list of what I have tried:
  • Downloaded the lastest version from PlayStation's website
  • Uninstalled it and the Microsoft C++ Visual Library 2013 x86 as per a suggestion on a reddit thread
  • Deleted all related files from my computer
  • Restarted my computer and reinstalled the PlayStation Remote Play app (the C++ auto installs while installing the PS app)
  • Made sure that my firewall and antivirus are not interfering with it
  • All my drivers, including both graphics cards, are up to date
  • Contacted PlayStation support but that has been an exercise in futility
  • Posted this issue in several forums with no luck
  • Uninstalled previous 2 Windows updates
Here are my pc specs, in case it helps.

Dell Inspiron 7559
OS Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU Intel Core i7 6700HQ Skylake
RAM 16gb
GPU Intel HD Graphics 530
NVIDIA GeForce GTX
960M

I checked Event Viewer and there were two errors regarding PS Romote Play, one an Application error and the other a .Net Runtime error. Here are the logs:

Application Error:

General tab:

Faulting application name: RemotePlay.exe, version: 3.0.0.9250, time stamp: 0x5d8b0f87
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.488, time stamp: 0x42f14898
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00129962
Faulting process id: 0x42dc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d698b13fc35e67
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\PS4 Remote Play\RemotePlay.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 90de3b55-9d57-49a9-b3e8-d83745aa57cd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Detailed tab:

RemotePlay.exe

5d8b0f87

KERNELBASE.dll

42f14898

e0434352

42dc

01d698b13fc35e67

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\PS4 Remote Play\RemotePlay.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

90de3b55-9d57-49a9-b3e8-d83745aa57cd

.Net Runtime Error:

General Tab:

Application: RemotePlay.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArithmeticException

Exception Info: System.OverflowException
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap.FinalizeCreation()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap..ctor(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource, System.Windows.Media.ColorContext, System.Windows.Media.ColorContext, System.Windows.Media.PixelFormat)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.CreateCachedBitmap(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrame, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSourceSafeMILHandle, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCreateOptions, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapPalette)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrameDecode.FinalizeCreation()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrameDecode..ctor(Int32, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCreateOptions, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupFrames(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder, System.Collections.ObjectModel.ReadOnlyCollection1<System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrame>) at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.get_Frames() at RemoteplayUI.page.ConnectingWPF.SetScale(Single) at RemoteplayUI.page.Connecting..ctor() at RemoteplayUI.RemotePlayWindows..ctor(Boolean) at .Main() Detailed Tab: [TABLE] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD]Application: RemotePlay.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.ArithmeticException Exception Info: System.OverflowException at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap.FinalizeCreation() at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap..ctor(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource, System.Windows.Media.ColorContext, System.Windows.Media.ColorContext, System.Windows.Media.PixelFormat) at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.CreateCachedBitmap(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrame, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSourceSafeMILHandle, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCreateOptions, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapPalette) at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrameDecode.FinalizeCreation() at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrameDecode..ctor(Int32, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCreateOptions, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder) at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupFrames(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder, System.Collections.ObjectModel.ReadOnlyCollection1<System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrame>) at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.get_Frames() at RemoteplayUI.page.ConnectingWPF.SetScale(Single) at RemoteplayUI.page.Connecting..ctor() at RemoteplayUI.RemotePlayWindows..ctor(Boolean) at .Main() [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

At first I thought it was a problem with the Windows update, but I uninstalled the last two and the problem persisted, so I think it might be nVidia or Intel related?

I have had so much success finding solutions to random tech issues on this site, so I hope to find a solution for this issue here too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Grey Aria

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013

Do what? The program won't even stay on long enough to do anything, let alone try to scan for a Playstation.

I used PS Remote Play for like 9 months without any issues until a couple of weeks ago.

As far as my pc meeting all the reqs, it absolutely does. I'm able to stream using OBS and PS Remote Play.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Does your PC meet system requirements?
Have you got a Playstation 4?
And a Dualshock 4 controller?
Do you have an Internet connection with upload and download speeds of at least 5 Mbps (12 Mbps recommended)?
Did you then download Remote Play?
Did you then go through Step 1, 2 and 3?
Did you thenManually register a PS4 for Remote Play on PC?

Grey Aria

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
Does your PC meet system requirements?
Have you got a Playstation 4?
And a Dualshock 4 controller?
Do you have an Internet connection with upload and download speeds of at least 5 Mbps (12 Mbps recommended)?
Did you then download Remote Play?
Did you then go through Step 1, 2 and 3?
Did you thenManually register a PS4 for Remote Play on PC?

Like I said in my original post, I have been using Remote Play successfully for months, so yes to every single one of your questions.

Please reread my original post if you are confused as to what my issue is.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
You said
I haven't been unable to get PSRemote Play to work since a recent Windows update, an Intel GPU update and an nVidia update.
So I wanted to check that Remote Play was installed properly and up to date.
The updates are all firmware updates?
Can you try rolling say the GPU update back and see what happens?

Grey Aria

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
You said
I haven't been unable to get PSRemote Play to work since a recent Windows update, an Intel GPU update and an nVidia update.
So I wanted to check that Remote Play was installed properly and up to date.
The updates are all firmware updates?
Can you try rolling say the GPU update back and see what happens?

Yes, it is installed properly and yes it is up to date. I downloaded the most recent version straight from the website.
All updates were done through either Windows Update or a utility from Intel and nVidia, so they're all official updates straight from the source.
I've rolled back both GPU drivers back several versions and it didn't help.