Unable to get XP to refresh directory when inserting a new..

Windows XP Home edition (5.1 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: sp2) on a HP a830n.

About 10-20% of the time, when I put a new CD into the CD-ROM, explorer
still shows the content of the last CD. It does not read the new CD.
Browsers, 3rd party application, even the DOS prompt still returns the
content of the previous CD. Refresh does nothing. F5 doesn't help. Even
trying to 'eject' the previous CD and then putting in the new one doesn't
help. So far, the only solution I have is to reboot the system, obviously
not a solution at all. And an impossible solution when the problem shows up
while trying to install a multiple CD program -- the program asks for the 2nd
CD, I put it in, but Windows keeps telling the program that it's still the
1st CD.

HELP! I contacted HP support, but all they did was try to get me to reboot
the box.

gtchen66,

check this link out, scroll down to 4th reply (posted by Headscratcher).

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1110533114

Here's how you enable CDROM Autorun
* Start > Run > type regedit, OK

* navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet

* Services > Cdrom > double-click 'autorun' & set value to 1

* to disable, set value back to 0

Drew