Question Unable to port forward for Security Camera system

Apr 30, 2019
Hi all, before posting this thread I have combed endlessly through the internet for a solution with no luck, so I am really hoping the you kind people out there can help me out. So here is my problem, I have a QSee security camera system and I am trying to set up port forwarding so that I can view my cameras remotely. I have done this before with another QSEE system, so I would like to think that I have some idea as to what I am doing (but I can be wrong). Right now my DVR is connected to my Linksys router via ethernet cable and the router is connected to the internet with a PoE switch. I can see my DVR system in my router's network map and I have reserved the DVR's ip (currently 192.168.1.129). My router's LAN ip is 192.168.1.1 and WAN is 192.168.2.. I have tired forwarding port 80-85 on my router to my DVR's ip. I also tried forwarding 8888 as external port to internal port 8. Used DMZ, UPnP... still no luck. Canyouseeme.org indicate port closed, with connection timeout message for port 80 and connection refused for any other port. One thing I do noticed, when I go to enable UPnP on my DVR, the external IP indicate my WAN ip 192.168.2.. Not sure if that has to do with anything. I also also mention that I have a Linksys EA7300. I really hope someone have some insight on how to go about this. Thanks in advance to all the people taking their time out to answer this thread.

Do you have 2 routers in your house. The modem maybe a router/modem.

In any case if you see a private ip like 192.168.x.x on your WAN port you will never get port forwarding to work. The IP address you see in the canyouseeme needs to be the same as the wan ip. This is the public ip you are using. If this IP is not being assigned to your router there is another router in the path doing the NAT. If you have 2 routers you will need to port forward in that router. If this other router is not in your house you can not do the port forwarding setting and can never make this work.

Your only option if you do not have a public IP is to see if the ISP will give your one maybe for a extra charge. There are some vpn services that give fixed ip addresses but it makes things more complex and cost extra money each month.

If your router' WAN address is 192.168.x.y, you're already NAT'ed by your ISP (eg satellite, or 3G/4G/LTE, even some cable ISPs started doing that). In that case, you can't forward, since your router is not reachable remotely.

In that case - have a PC in local network where you can TeamViewer into, and use that PC for monitoring.

Apr 30, 2019
Do you have 2 routers in your house. The modem maybe a router/modem.

In any case if you see a private ip like 192.168.x.x on your WAN port you will never get port forwarding to work. The IP address you see in the canyouseeme needs to be the same as the wan ip. This is the public ip you are using. If this IP is not being assigned to your router there is another router in the path doing the NAT. If you have 2 routers you will need to port forward in that router. If this other router is not in your house you can not do the port forwarding setting and can never make this work.

Your only option if you do not have a public IP is to see if the ISP will give your one maybe for a extra charge. There are some vpn services that give fixed ip addresses but it makes things more complex and cost extra money each month.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is as you say, I don't have a modem in the house, the internet cable runs directly from the wall to the PoE then into my router which I set up myself. All that time wasted trying to configure my router...... But thanks again for helping me out, I guess I will just have to contact the ISP and see what options I have.

Apr 30, 2019
If your router' WAN address is 192.168.x.y, you're already NAT'ed by your ISP (eg satellite, or 3G/4G/LTE, even some cable ISPs started doing that). In that case, you can't forward, since your router is not reachable remotely.

In that case - have a PC in local network where you can TeamViewer into, and use that PC for monitoring.

Yeh called the ISP and static ip will be an extra $10 per month.. Never heard of TeamViewer, I will give that a try. Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS