[SOLVED] Uncorrectable Errors Count at caution: Should i replace the drive?

RealSmoke

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
Just checked my drive health with crystal disk info and it looks something like this.

The drive overall feels quite slow especially with boot times and opening programs. I also had different problems like the whole pc freezing when using firefox, or when loading a level in a game, frequently games will freeze for 1 or 2 second(s) usually when it has to load a area. I also had a few bluescreens, mostly when i tried opening something or when a game was loading a level or different assets. /The bluescreens mostly said CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED something like that.
Things that are out of the question: The gpu, i tested with 2 gpu's all which work flawlessly on different machines. Ram: Tested on friends pc, worked flawlessly.
And just so i don't have to start another thread, will a ssd require extra connectors than my hdd already has? It has two connectors one which has 2p on it and one with a red cable.

Other specs:
I3-530
Gt 710
4gb ddr3
1tb 7200RPM Hdd

Solution
Plan on that drive dying any time. It could be an hour or months, but I suspect shorter rather than longer. Items C5 and C6 (pending and uncorrectable sector counts are two of the key values pointing to imminent failure).

So at a minimum back up all important data from that drive if you haven't yet.

You will need one SATA data port and one power connector (probably on the same cable) for each -- SSD and HDD. So two separate data cables to two different SATA connectors and one power cable with two unused connectors.

If you buy a larger HDD use care not to buy an SMR hard drive, but stay with a PMR drive. Wiki has a good quick explanation of the difference -- but a SMR (shingled type drive is what it sounds like the magnetic...

RealBeast

Titan
Plan on that drive dying any time. It could be an hour or months, but I suspect shorter rather than longer. Items C5 and C6 (pending and uncorrectable sector counts are two of the key values pointing to imminent failure).

So at a minimum back up all important data from that drive if you haven't yet.

You will need one SATA data port and one power connector (probably on the same cable) for each -- SSD and HDD. So two separate data cables to two different SATA connectors and one power cable with two unused connectors.

If you buy a larger HDD use care not to buy an SMR hard drive, but stay with a PMR drive. Wiki has a good quick explanation of the difference -- but a SMR (shingled type drive is what it sounds like the magnetic layers overlap like shingles, which is quite slow for writing. They are good for long term archive where you are trying to save a little because you buy lots of drives and don't access them often).

Solution
Since only at 1 TB, there are (were) good prices on Crucial's MX500, and at $105-$110, well worth considering over a $50-$60 1 TB spinner. As DDR3 is cheap, I'd see what your board supports and consider a pair of 8 GB sticks if your mainboard supports them, as 4 GB of RAM is generally a painful experience any more based on how an i3 laptop so equipped looked a few years back, which rivaled watching paint dry on bootup)