Unknown (rare?) Core 2 Duo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007

Engineering Sample, or Engineers Sample.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Upon closer look at the picture, I see that it says '05 on it. So it's made in 2005, yet the E4400 was released during April 22 2007...some sort of time warp here?

The earliest Core2duo was released during 2006, so obviously the cpu you have is either a fake or an ES.

endyen

Splendid
Strange. That chip was packaged (ie bga attached) in Taiwan in the second week of 07. The SLA5F designation is for plant, line, and location.
At the bottom is an alpha-numeric sequence. It is Q= malay, 7 = 2007, 02= week and the rest is id code.

mrmez

Splendid
Doubt its an ES TBO.

They normally have different markings.

FrontB.JPG

Contact Intel regardless, they should be able to help regardless.
If someone is selling suspect/lowwer binned parts, they will be VERY interested, as these chips can hurt their reputation.

There usually is a nice reward for an ES, not sure in your case tho... u can always ask nicely.

Contact the seller see what they say... if anything.

Test the chip. If u dont get the answer ur looking for out of either, and the chip works well.... YAY2U.
If it doesnt work as advertised... paypal dispute here we come.

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Looking at his "6 Ghz" processors again, I am way thinking you got ripped off. ES IHS's don't have nothing on them, they have Intel Confidential at the very least. He has no credibility, and I am thinking you should rate him down.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Just checked a processor he had for sale.....

THIS IS A NEW LG775 NEVER TESTED. I AM NO LONGER TESTING THESE CPU'S, THEY ARE NEW WITHOUT A SCRATCH ON THE TOP. THESE CPU'S ARE RARE THEY ARE ES CPUS. I TRIED MINE ON A 775VM800 MOTHERBOARD AND IT WORKED AT 3.73 GHZ WHEN I UNDERCLOCKED IT AND I RAN IT AT 6GHZ NOT OVERCLOCKED WITHOUT IT OVERHEATING. . LOOK AT THE PICTURES AND ASK AS MANY QUESTIONS AS YOU NEED. i WAS TESTING THEM AND HAD SOME THAT RAN ONLY ON A ASROCK 775VM800 AND THERE ARE SOME THAT RUN WITH THE FOLLOWING: Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 (rev. 2.1) ,Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 3.3), Gigabyte ga-945GCM-s2c (rev 1.0).

I HAVE HAD SOME RETURNS FROM PEOPLE THAT BUY IT FOR OTHER BOARDS AND WE TELL PEOPLE THEY DON'T WORK ON OTHER BOARDS. THE REALITY IS I DON'T KNOW WHICH BOARDS WILL PICK THIS CPU UP. THEY HABE SAID THAT THE ABIT AND THE NVIDIA CHIPSET WORK WELL. i REALLY DO NOT NOW.

THIS CHIP IS AN OPEN CPU AND CAN BE OVERCLOCKED IF YOU CAN FIND THE APPROPRIATE BOARD. CONTACT THE PEOPLE ON MY FEEDBACK THAT FOUND THE BOARD YOU WILL FIND THAT THEY ARE OVERCLOCKERS. THIS CHIP IS ALSO A COLLECTABLE ITEM. IF YOU CAN SEE THEY HAVE VIRGIN TOPS. NOT A SCRATCH ON THEM.

What a croc

even on of the pictures shows a Xeon processr running at 1.4 Ghz

He even admits they are engineering samples - Twit...

Sounds like a red neck brown turtle pusher to me....

Avoid..

Not 100% true. I got a Pentium 4 EE 3.4GHz Northwood w/2MB cache for $150 bucks on Ebay and it has worked great for about 2 years. It also was a huge jump in performance from my P4 3.2GHz. As long as their rep is good there is usually no problem.

@ the OP, seems like it could be a steppung that was never released. Hard to tell without Intel verifying it. I would email Intel and see if they can tell you anything. Even send them the screenshot so they can look at it.

Good luck and hoipe everything works out though. Oh don't forget to CPU-Z it when you get it up and running, that is if it runs.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Ya, that would be interesting to see what stepping it is, since L2 and M0 are the ones that are suppose to be out there. And if it was an ES, it should say "Confidential" as per mrmez/zpyrd mentioned.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Well, I here McCain and George Jr have it all worked out.

McCain is going to nominate Condalesa Rice as VP.
After he Wins the election, C. Rice will resign as VP to become Prez of a Major Oil Company.

Jeb Bush Then becomes the New VP.
McCain then Retires so Jeb becomes Prez.

George Jr. Moves into the Guest Room and bosses his little Bro around like when they were kids.

I know it's true because I read it on Fudzilla someplace.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
well mr funny-ass zenmaster, can we please stay on topic?
intel got back to me and said they have no idea what this is. they also didn't like the picture i sent and want another...
---------------------------------------------------------
Hello Ed,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

I understand that you are looking for information on your Intel(R)
processor.

I have tried searching for the sSpec number SLA5F but we have no
matching information in our database about the processor you have. We could
try helping you out if you could provide us all the information located
on top of your processor:

If you have any issues finding the processor markings please access the
following link:
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-025525.htm

If you cannot find or read the markings, please provide us a
high-resolution picture of the top of the processor in order for us to find this
information.

Agreed. Also the OP might actually get a better CPU free. Intel/AMD/etc are quite sensitive about ES.