Unknown (rare?) Core 2 Duo

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

I posted about this earlier. The seller says the CPUZ is wrong.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
shat!!! iv got it all together and
A) my copy of clonezilla wouldnt work so my sata drive is still empty.
B) im out of fricken thermal compound! i scraped a little off the celley and onto the hsf but it idles at 40c and shuts down before it can even install all the new stuff. plus i hate xp pro. it wants me to reactivate it within three days! who cares microsoft?!
C)i can't figure out how to change the fsb on the motherboard. the option is there in the bios but its grayed out and won't let me change it. weird because in the manual it tells me to be careful when overclocking and stuff so iv got to figure that out.
in the manual it shows the bus setting grayed out as well but it says i can change it. whatever.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i was testing it and it would run too hot and crash. so i took off the hsf and the cpu wasn't touched!!! i looked the the hs and back at the cpu and there was no evidence they were touching. then, as i repeatedly looked at the hs i noticed a notch on the side, and then another and i realized, oooooooooooooohhhhhh. this wasn't installed properly dummy! so i matched it up correctly and its working now. xp is on my ata drive and im not inclined to rig up a crazy drives dangilig outside case setup, so im installing os x 10.4.8 on my new sata2 drive right now. its going great! much better than on my laptop(hp is trash). so its installing now w/o a hitch but the fan is going nuts. o well, its still goin.
oh, the bios screen says i only have 1024 mb of memorey in single channel mode and this is a 2gig dual channel setup. maybe with a bios update.
update coming soon.

Mondoman

Splendid
Sounds like you might have memory issues. I'd certainly run memtest86+ through a couple of complete passes to make sure there are no hidden problems before installing (and perhaps corrupting) an OS.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
well osx installer great but wont run. i either get a video failure, my lcd turns off, or a aple logo and then 'please restart the system'. so that idea is gone. mabe ill try ubuntu now.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i changeed the timing on the ram to 444 12 from some else. maybe that helps? still says single channel though... the box says it supports dual chennle 667 so i dont know. i should try that bios update.
im running a memory test right now on the ubuntu disc and its passing so far.
im going to try xp after this... and install that bios update if i don't get raped by hardware managers agian...

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
i finally have screenie.
here ya go...
c.jpg

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
ok, i found HDClone and that is working flawlessly. im cloning my drives right now. then i can free up my ide slot for my dvd drive and i can install all of my drivers for 8600 gts and wifi card and i will be good to go.
feels like im talking to myself^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
im surprised my puny bestec 300 watt psu hasn't exploded yet.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

I think he meant his comment, not the thread :)
Glad to hear things worked out!
I wouldn't be too worried about buying components on eBay, both of my GTXs came from there, one of my 150Gb Raptor's (from Canada, shipped to the UK) and my 36Gb Raptor :D
No problems with any of them!

mothhive

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I think he means his post. Probably wasn't relevant anymore, so he edited it so a mod could delete it as he couldn't.

Edit - lol Didn't notice the 4th page. Delete this too! :p

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
so far its good but i still can't change the bus speed. why would i be able to change the memory timing but not the bus speed? im trying to update the bios but the file i downloaded was corrupt or something and wouldn't work.
maybe ill try that ?bsel? mod with the pins and cunduction pen. that forces a 1066 fsb.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
yeah i am kind of disappointed (should i be?) about my 3dmark score. i got 5008. i was kind of expecting a little more, like 6000. o well, i still can't figure out the fsb thing. i should contact ecs. the ram is working great though and i got an email that it was nominated for some newegg customer satisfaction thing.
do you guys thing i should try the pin mod on my c2d?
i think it automatically bumps the speed to 2.4 or 2.6 and the bus to 1066. i have also heard that the fsb changer in the bios will only work if the processor has the maximum bus speed(1066) so i don't know.

I don't see why the FSB should be locked. Some Motherboards have a lock on OCing until you press some combination of keys. I have no idea about ECS, though. No harm in asking ECS, though.