Unknown (rare?) Core 2 Duo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ive seen lame advertising trying to scale a cpu speed like that. Its very misleading and plain wrong. If that was legitimate I would be running a 12ghz processor.

As far as buying on Ebay, you are ok if you:

1- check for positive feedback (high scores only)
2- If there are any negatives, read the feedback and see why (most likely need to look for another seller)
3- Contact the seller and ask questions (pay attention how they answer, more informative is usually more trusting)

Buying on Ebay can be risky but if your careful and pay attention to detail such as product description and what I listed above you should be fine.

If Intel offers you a 1500 cpu, you go buy a new board so you can use it!!! :bounce:

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
lol i will buy a new board if the situation arises but i doubt they are going to offer me anything.
did i tell you guys what motherboard I'm getting? its in my hardware profile and it was cheap as hell.
ecs 945gct-m 28 bucks

Mondoman

Splendid

Sorry, man, but that is $28 more than it is worth... :(

But please keep us updated on what Intel says!

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
they are probably going to mail me back in the wee hours of the morning. thats what they did last night. i am actually contemplating staying up and waiting for it.
and what is wrong with that board? dual channel 667, sata2, 1066 bus. sounds good to me.

gamecrazychris

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007

That says its a pentium extreme so its only a dual core. Also that guy sounds like he's full of **** saying he ran the cpu "underclocked" at 3.7ghz then set it back to normal 6ghz.

The stupid sellers on Ebay : :non:

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
The reason the board is crap is mainly because most everyone, myself included do not hold ECS in high regard. It may be cheap, but remember:
You get what you pay for.

In order to sell a motherboard with all those features, they have to cut massive corners. That means they are using the cheapest electrolytic capacitors in existence. The kind that will blow up and kill the motherboard and possible many other components.

BTW, I suggest heading over to http://badcaps.net/ for info on the bad batches of electrolytic caps.

rockit00

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Last week a seller auctioned 10 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Retail CPU's on ebay. The final price was $136.00 ea. I missed that auction cause I had just paid $172.00 for a Retail E6850 myself! I installed mine on Friday and I'm totally satisfied with it. Especially since it cost less than my E6750!!! Go ebay.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
got a cpu z screenie if you really need it, hehe.
cpuz.jpg

endyen

Splendid

It's a little hard to see, but a good cap is flat on top. A lot of the caps in those pictures have bulging tops.

I am doubting it as in order to have the IHS stat its a e4400, the guy would have to have removed one, sanded it down untill there was no text and re-etch it. Its probably his old system.

I wounder if the BIOS was set to see 2 3GHz CPUs(i.e. a dual core) as a 6GHz CPU. Or if its a custom BIOS just to sell the CPUs.

horendus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Look theres only 2 things u need to do

A: Check to see if the multiplier is unlocked

B: Check how far it overclocks/heats up

Thats all

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

all i can say, it seems bad news for u. BUT, the good news might be coming from Intel. u should explain to them what happened. they might have some mercy!!

Its the quality. I had seen these boards literaly catch on fire!.