Aug 23, 2021
SPECS:
CPU: i7 7700
GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1060 6GB
MOBO: ASUS STRIX B250F
RAM: KINGSTON 8x2 GB 2400mhz
PSU: COUGAR 550W

Okay so basically this is what happens:
1-I boot from the iGPU while the GPU is plugged in → I get a blue screen if I do anything NVIDIA GPU related (i.e install the NVIDIA drivers) and GPU fans go wild.
2-I boot from the GPU but I get a black screen → my windows get corrupted (sometimes) and I have to get back to a restore point (with the iGPU) but sometimes it is just a usual ordinary black screen (https://streamable.com/ilfhov).
3-I boot from the GPU and there is no black screen → everything is as smooth as butter, games running fine, windows running fine.
4-I boot from the iGPU alone → buttery smooth also (in fact i am writing this post from my computer while using the iGPU).
NOTE: if I want the GPU to boot normally I usually have to reseat the GPU, change the PCI-E slot, and pray that it boots normally.
(i couldn't exactly know where the problem is due to how unstable the GPU is, it works sometimes it doesn't in others)

All that started happening after the shipment of this computer, before that it was working perfectly.
The computer was super dusty cleaned it (get's dusty super fast thought T_T) didn't change anything, tried changing some settings in the bios, removing the CMOS battery all this jazz nothing worked.
I'm betting it's a hardware issue but is there a way to confirm that it's either the GPU or the (PSU/MOBO) fault (might be software issues also idk).

Any suggestions for where the problem could be or what I should be doing to fix it?
Thanks in advance.

if the GPU was installed while being moved, or maybe when cleaned, it's possible that the card's contacts and\or the PCIe slot was damaged.
if the same issue arises no matter which slot is used it would lead me to believe it is the card.

try it on a different motherboard and see if the issue persists there.

Aug 23, 2021
if the GPU was installed while being moved, or maybe when cleaned, it's possible that the card's contacts and\or the PCIe slot was damaged.
if the same issue arises no matter which slot is used it would lead me to believe it is the card.

try it on a different motherboard and see if the issue persists there.
it was installed during shipment, this was a mistake on my part, first boot it worked tho no problem, all this happened the next day
and yeah the same issue happens when I install the GPU in the second PCI-E slot
so it could be the GPU, but is the PSU out of the game?
cuz when the GPU boots which happens rarely it works completely fine

Aug 23, 2021
the fact that reseating it sometimes fixes the issue temporarily makes it unlikely that it is the power supply.

trying the card on another motherboard will be the easiest way to determine more.
okay I will try it on another motherboard when i get the chance
I will update you if I do that
but if the GPU didn't work on another mobo, do you have any idea what caused it to be like that?
the computer was lightly used before shipment especially the GPU (no gaming at all)
thank you so much

Last edited: