OblivionsEdge

Prominent
Apr 22, 2020
Can I update my motherboard without a working CPU?

So a bit of backstory first;

A few months ago my old asus h110m-a motherboard got fried overnight during a power cut/surge, the result was that my motherboard got fried. I therefore bought another motherboard for my i3 6100 (old CPU yes i know), and thought that was the end of it. However, once I fitted my new Motherboard (Gigabyte H110m-s2h), it turned out that my CPU had gone as well, as the PC turned on, fans started spinning lights came on, but wouldn't boot into BIOS. So here's the question.

I want to replace my CPU, but may as well go in for an upgrade. I don't really fancy moving to Ryzen or upgrading further than 7th gen Intel, as my needs are not too demanding to buy new hardware and therefore I prefer to buy used. But I want to know whether I can upgrade my new motherboard to support 7th gen intel, or will I not be able to as i need a working CPU to update it?

(Side question: Is there a chance my motherboard has already been updated to 7th gen BIOS, and that's why I can't use my 6th gen i3 to get into the motherboard BIOS?)

Any help would be hugely appreciated, as I don't know what else to do

Solution
No, only motherboards with an in built CPU-less BIOS flash feature allow this. This board does not. You need a compatible CPU to be able to update the BIOS.

(Side question: Is there a chance my motherboard has already been updated to 7th gen BIOS, and that's why I can't use my 6th gen i3 to get into the motherboard BIOS?)
No, a BIOS update will not make your 6th Gen redundant, it will only ADD compatibility for 7th Gen.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, only motherboards with an in built CPU-less BIOS flash feature allow this. This board does not. You need a compatible CPU to be able to update the BIOS.

No, a BIOS update will not make your 6th Gen redundant, it will only ADD compatibility for 7th Gen.

Solution