Sep 16, 2019
Hello! Posted a thread a couple of days ago and got some really good advice! Made some changes in the builds and here is the updated versions! Open for all advice you can throw at me since this is the first time I try to put togheter gaming pc.

I want the best performance for competitive play in games such as CSGO and battle royales.
Is it FPS i'm after and which of the builds gets the upperhand or are they kind of similar? Im open for suggestions that will enchance the performance at similar pricing. RIght now 100$ seperates the builds.

Solution
Sep 16, 2019
I think the FPS should be very close. You are using the same GPU and I think both CPUs are fast enough.
The motherboards and RAM differ a bit as well. AMD build has 3200MHz cl 14 since I've heard ram is more important for AMDs than it is for intel? On the intel build i've got a cheaper motherboard and slower ram 3200 cl 16.

Sep 16, 2019
A r5 3600 won’t bottleneck a 2070super/2080?

Any thought of the i-5 9600k vs i-7 9700k? I can take either one but if there is little to none difference in performance I take the cheaper one obviously... :D

Going to pair the build with a 144-240hz monitor, currently looking into a 240hz

Last edited:
Reactions: Victornf
Solution
Sep 16, 2019
"A r5 3600 won’t bottleneck a 2070super/2080? "
I think...."no way". I am running an RTX 2080 Ti on a slower CPU than that just fine.

"Any thought of the i-5 9600k vs i-7 9700k? "
The 9700k is quite a bit faster.....plus you get two more cores.....for the extra $100 I would probably go for it.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-9600K+@+3.70GHz&id=3337

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-9700K+@+3.60GHz&id=3335
What u like the most?
rtx 2080ti with r5 3600
Rtx 2070s with r5 3600
RX 5700 XT (OC, powercolor) with i-7 9700k?

Think the 2080ti is a little over the top for me but maybe I can make a build with the r5 3600 and make everything else budget and still manage my budget... :D

If I want the best performance in FPS, (can lower graphics, no need to run on max for me)

Also I won’t do any OC on my own, thata why I’m prepared to pay a little extra for the supplier to overclock the gpu for me like the powercolor 5700 XT.

But won’t some of the overclocked rtx 5700 xts (sappphire nitro+ and powercolor devil) be faster than some of the non OC’ed 2070s?

Edit: (yes I know I’m quite ignorant hehe but that’s why I’m here asking all the stupid questions). :D

Both will offer ~5 FPS from one another in most games.
if you like to keep a lot of open other programs, like spotify, chrome, without affecting the game, pick AMD, extra cores help to multitask. AMD also means you want to upgrade it in future.
if not, intel will give you a bit more fps if that's your only aim.

What u like the most?
rtx 2080ti with r5 3600
Rtx 2070s with r5 3600
RX 5700 XT (OC, powercolor) with i-7 9700k?

Think the 2080ti is a little over the top for me but maybe I can make a build with the r5 3600 and make everything else budget and still manage my budget... :D

If I want the best performance in FPS, (can lower graphics, no need to run on max for me)

Also I won’t do any OC on my own, thata why I’m prepared to pay a little extra for the supplier to overclock the gpu for me like the powercolor 5700 XT.

But won’t some of the overclocked rtx 5700 xts (sappphire nitro+ and powercolor devil) be faster than some of the non OC’ed 2070s?

Edit: (yes I know I’m quite ignorant hehe but that’s why I’m here asking all the stupid questions). :D
Tough call....because I like the 2080 Ti but I'm an Intel guy. lol

The 2080 Ti will get you the most FPS though.
As far as OCing...I don't OC....I just buy what's necessary to do the job because I can afford it and I don't care to deal with extra heat.

Endre

Reputable
Hello! Posted a thread a couple of days ago and got some really good advice! Made some changes in the builds and here is the updated versions! Open for all advice you can throw at me since this is the first time I try to put togheter gaming pc.

I want the best performance for competitive play in games such as CSGO and battle royales.
Is it FPS i'm after and which of the builds gets the upperhand or are they kind of similar? Im open for suggestions that will enchance the performance at similar pricing. RIght now 100$ seperates the builds.

Hello!

I’d make several changes:
  1. Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro.
  2. CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K (best gaming CPU at that price).
  3. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti.
  4. RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2666 (It’s cheaper, but it’s more stable. It works at that speed by default, no OC needed. You won’t be bottlenecked by the memory speed).

If the price goes too high, I’d replace the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB with the 250GB version, for the OS.

Sep 16, 2019
Hello!

I’d make several changes:
  1. Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro.
  2. CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K (best gaming CPU at that price).
  3. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti.
  4. RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2666 (It’s cheaper, but it’s more stable. It works at that speed by default, no OC needed. You won’t be bottlenecked by the memory speed).
If the price goes too high, I’d replace the Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB with the 250GB version, for the OS.
even if im not using a HDD? Won't i run out of storage in an instance? Is it a mistake to not run a HDD? i've heard they are quite slow?

Sep 16, 2019
If you're getting a 240 Hz monitor you may be better off with Intel. Last I checked an overclocked Intel still has an edge for high FPS gaming. Assuming you want to get ~200 FPS to take full advantage of your monitor's refresh rate.
I won’t be overclocking on my own. I’m way to inexperienced for that unfortunately. Seems like 240hz is a bit overkill for my set-up? Not sure if I can reach that high in FPS even tho it’s my goal to maximize performance.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You have a lot of control over what FPS your graphics card can achieve by adjusting settings. So if you're willing to turn down settings to achieve the FPS you want, I think an RX 5700 XT would be able to get ~200 FPS in many games. It's up to you though, maybe you'd be happier playing at max settings at ~120 FPS (or whatever).

You're typically limited in what game settings (if any) you can adjust to improve what FPS your CPU is capable of in a given game. And as FPS increases your CPU is more likely to start being the limiting factor, hence CPU choice can be quite important if you want to get very high FPS.

Regarding overclocking, it's not really as hard as it may seem, it really just takes patience. There are lots of good guides out there too.

Endre

Reputable
Is there any value in spreading out the storage on a SATA SSD and a M.2 SSD? Or is it okay to go with only a 1TB m.2 like i thought from the start?

If you have enough money, go with the M.2 SSD!
Make sure it’s an NVMe SSD, and that your motherboard supports that.

The combination of an M.2 NVMe SSD with a SATA SSD is only an option if you’re tight on money.

Sep 16, 2019
If you have enough money, go with the M.2 SSD!
Make sure it’s an NVMe SSD, and that your motherboard supports that.

The combination of an M.2 NVMe SSD with a SATA SSD is only an option if you’re tight on money.
okay, and how about the HDD? Do you usually include one in the build? I thought not but perhaps i was wrong. Found a cheap seagate burracuda but aren't they quite slow?

Sep 16, 2019
You have a lot of control over what FPS your graphics card can achieve by adjusting settings. So if you're willing to turn down settings to achieve the FPS you want, I think an RX 5700 XT would be able to get ~200 FPS in many games. It's up to you though, maybe you'd be happier playing at max settings at ~120 FPS (or whatever).

You're typically limited in what game settings (if any) you can adjust to improve what FPS your CPU is capable of in a given game. And as FPS increases your CPU is more likely to start being the limiting factor, hence CPU choice can be quite important if you want to get very high FPS.

Regarding overclocking, it's not really as hard as it may seem, it really just takes patience. There are lots of good guides out there too.

Okay, so the i5-9600k would be the preferred choice in this matter over the r5 3600?

also, if i go with cheaper ram and motherboard, and upgrade the CPU instead to i7-9700k, would that mean I could see higher fps than if i spent more money for a 3200Mhz ram and a slightly more expensive MOBO while sticking with the i5-9600k?

Endre

Reputable
okay, and how about the HDD? Do you usually include one in the build? I thought not but perhaps i was wrong. Found a cheap seagate burracuda but aren't they quite slow?

I, personally, sold my old Barracuda HDD long time ago.
It’s just old technology that must go away just as music cassettes did.
HDDs are more fragile, being mechanical, they draw more power, they are noisier, they are more likely to fail due to “bad sectors”, and they are 10X slowlier than SATA SSDs!

I encourage you sticking to newer technologies as much as you can.

Sep 16, 2019
I, personally, sold my old Barracuda HDD long time ago.
It’s just old technology that must go away just as music cassettes did.
HDDs are more fragile, being mechanical, they draw more power, they are noisier, they are more likely to fail due to “bad sectors”, and they are 10X slowlier than SATA SSDs!

I encourage you sticking to newer technologies as much as you can.
Thank you for the clarification!

Reactions: Endre