Oct 28, 2020
Morning all,

So I recently brought a custom build from PCS which I’m fairly happy with. I knew nothing about building PCs; did some YouTubing, some
Googling and put together what seemed to work. I posted specs to PCS forums before purchasing but didn’t seem to attract any advice.

So I went ahead with the purchase. It fit my budget and allowed me to get my foot in the door with a PC that works.

Since the PC arriving I’ve had advice that the build is terrible for my needs and poorly built. And that I should simply sell my system and start again. Well, to put it bluntly, that’s not going to happen. It is a basic system which works so far.

My needs are gaming and eventually want to move to 1440p gaming. I use the entire Adobe CC suite. And eventually I would like to give streaming a try, why not?

So my question is with Black Friday coming up. What sensible upgrades should I buy? I’m into the RGB hype, there’s just some childish part of me that likes pretty colours.

My current system is as follows:

Case
PCS SR-628B RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT Six Core CPU (4.5GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD

The machine is currently back at PCS as the GPU was hitting 87°, so we’ve changed my initial (apparently) terrible PCS case decision to a Corsair 4000D Airflow in black and upgraded to 3x LL120 fans in the front and 1 standard Corsair black fan in the back.

I run a single budget monitor which is: LG 27GL650F-B 27inch. I know this won’t be making the most of the GPU (apparently) but is this what you would upgrade rather than components?

I’m open to any suggestion of upgrading parts. As for budget, let’s say we have £500/600 come Black Friday. PCS forums just shut me down and said sell it. As mentioned before, I don’t want to do this. PCS won’t let me change the case or motherboard myself without invalidating warranty, so I wont be changing those. Any suggestions for aesthetic upgrades are welcome too!!

Thanks for your time.

Bb

Solution
Your build seems just fine for your needs now that you've changed the case and put in better fans. I would 100% recommend a CPU cooler upgrade (which means you'll have to reapply thermal paste). You could either go with an AIO which comes with two fans pre-installed something like the H100i SE white whchh has LL120s as well. (mind you iCUE currently does not let you sync RGB from different model fans ie ML with SP with LL etc). Or you could buy an air cooler. Hands down the best choice would be Noctua NH-U12A or U12S Chromax. Oh and since you're an RGB fan (pun) , just buy more RGB fans and stick them as exhaust too, one on the back and two on the top as far back as possible, you don't wanna rob air from the air cooler
Your build seems just fine for your needs now that you've changed the case and put in better fans. I would 100% recommend a CPU cooler upgrade (which means you'll have to reapply thermal paste). You could either go with an AIO which comes with two fans pre-installed something like the H100i SE white whchh has LL120s as well. (mind you iCUE currently does not let you sync RGB from different model fans ie ML with SP with LL etc). Or you could buy an air cooler. Hands down the best choice would be Noctua NH-U12A or U12S Chromax. Oh and since you're an RGB fan (pun) , just buy more RGB fans and stick them as exhaust too, one on the back and two on the top as far back as possible, you don't wanna rob air from the air cooler

Solution

TRENDING THREADS