[SOLVED] Upgraded PC cuts power at login screen or shortly after logging in then reboots normally.

Oct 22, 2019
So I just purchased a MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon, an i7 8700k, and 16gb(8x2) of Trident Z 3000 Ram to upgrade my current rig. I reinstalled windows from a usb onto my m.2 drive. It installed fine and I could browse my bios fine then I boot my pc again normally and right when I try to login it is like someone pulled the power plug, then it rebooted normally again to the login screen. I then click again to login and it does the same thing. I installed the updated bios onto a usb and flashed it. I was now able to login. I was then able to pull up edge and I tried downloading chrome and right when I clicked “download” again it cuts power and reboots. After like 3 tries I was able to download and run chrome. I now tried to download geforce experience and it power cut again. To be clear there is no restart screen, blue screen of death, etc. Sometimes it would boot to the blue recovery screen, but mostly it wouldn’t. I took out my GPU, and used integrated graphics, no change. I swapped out my 850w psu for a barely used 600w and it still did it. Should I try changing my ram? I am getting tired of not being able to use my pc. The only thing I can think could be wrong is my new mobo, cpu, ram or my used m.2. Any suggestions would be great.

System Build for info:
MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: i7 8700k
Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
RAM: GSkill Trident Z RGB 16Gb(8x2) 3000MHz
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 1070ti
Storage: Toshiba m.2(256gb)
2xKingston 240gb SSD in Raid 0
2xWD Blue 500gb HDD’s
PSU: Some bronze rated Cooler Master 850w Semi Modular and a Corsair 600w non modular.

Sorry if this post looks stupid, I am on my phone at work, will clean it up when I get to my school laptop.

Solution
Sounds like a short somewhere. First few recommendations are (feel free to power up and test in between any/all of these):
  1. Make sure every motherboard hole has a mount and a screw
  2. Make sure all power connections on the motherboard and the video card are secure
  3. Make sure a fan is connected to the CPU_FAN connector at the top of the board
  4. Remove all sound and USB connections from the motherboard (those connecting to the case)
  5. Remove video card and disconnect all devices but drive, one stick of RAM, and of course CPU.
  6. If none of the above works, you may have to try running the system outside of the case.

shadowXXe

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
This sound like a motherboard issue. do you have a motherboard laying around that you could test your components in or perhaps a friend that would let you test your components with his motherboard?

Oct 22, 2019
This sound like a motherboard issue. do you have a motherboard laying around that you could test your components in or perhaps a friend that would let you test your components with his motherboard?

I only have my old Z170, 6700k and ram laying around, going to test the ram later but I doubt that is the problem.

Oct 22, 2019

I only have my old Z170, 6700k and ram laying around, going to test the ram later but I doubt that is the problem.

Sounds like a short somewhere. First few recommendations are (feel free to power up and test in between any/all of these):
  1. Make sure every motherboard hole has a mount and a screw
  2. Make sure all power connections on the motherboard and the video card are secure
  3. Make sure a fan is connected to the CPU_FAN connector at the top of the board
  4. Remove all sound and USB connections from the motherboard (those connecting to the case)
  5. Remove video card and disconnect all devices but drive, one stick of RAM, and of course CPU.
  6. If none of the above works, you may have to try running the system outside of the case.

Solution