[SOLVED] Upgrades & GPU compatibility with motherboard

Mar 27, 2020
Hello I want to upgrade my pretty old PC, as it's getting a bit difficult to run games. I want to upgrade my GPU, my current one is the GTX 770 and the one I want to buy is the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC. But I stumpled upon two questions, which I was hoping someone could answer for me:
  1. Is this graphic card comfortable [compatible?] with my motherboard which is :msi z87-g43 (ms-7816)?
  2. And secondly, would the upgrade make any remarkble diffrence in my gaming experince?
My CPU: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 cores
My moniter: Zowie XL LCD, 144 Hz

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Hello I want to upgrade my pretty old PC, as it's getting a bit difficult to run games. I want to upgrade my GPU, my current one is the GTX 770 and the one I want to buy is the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC. But I stumpled upon two questions, which I was hoping someone could answer for me:
  1. Is this graphic card comfortable with my motherboard which is :msi z87-g43 (ms-7816)?
  2. And secondly, would the upgrade make any remarkble diffrence in my gaming experince?

Firstly yes your machine should be fine with a new graphics board (as long as the Bios is UEFI - as in it has a...
  1. Is this graphic card comfortable with my motherboard which is :msi z87-g43 (ms-7816)?

Firstly yes your machine should be fine with a new graphics board (as long as the Bios is UEFI - as in it has a graphical interface when you go into the bios then it should work with any modern graphics board).

Secondly, yes the GTX 770 is really struggling with modern titles (largely due to limited vram) however the 4th gen core cpu's are still fast enough to game on. One caveat to keep in mind, the 4670k is only a 4 thread cpu so it may be a bit of a limit for that gpu in some of the latest games... it would be worth keeping your eye on the used market for a compatible i7 ore Xeon E3 cpu to go in there that has 8 threads, as 4 core 8 thread cpu's are still fine for gaming.

Edit: If you can't upgrade the cpu you could save a bit of cash and go with a 1650 Super instead - although the 1660 Super is a good card if you plan on upgrading the rest of your system later.

Reactions: thorpedersen
Solution
Mar 27, 2020
Firstly yes your machine should be fine with a new graphics board (as long as the Bios is UEFI - as in it has a graphical interface when you go into the bios then it should work with any modern graphics board).

Secondly, yes the GTX 770 is really struggling with modern titles (largely due to limited vram) however the 4th gen core cpu's are still fast enough to game on. One caveat to keep in mind, the 4670k is only a 4 thread cpu so it may be a bit of a limit for that gpu in some of the latest games... it would be worth keeping your eye on the used market for a compatible i7 ore Xeon E3 cpu to go in there that has 8 threads, as 4 core 8 thread cpu's are still fine for gaming.

Edit: If you can't upgrade the cpu you could save a bit of cash and go with a 1650 Super instead - although the 1660 Super is a good card if you plan on upgrading the rest of your system later.
Thank you very much for all your help. I didn't even consider, my CPU needs updating, but I'll be looking into that. Very nice of you to take time out of your day to help me. Have a good day :)

Reactions: cdrkf