Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2021
Hi guys!

I was wandering if it is possible to upgrade the cpu on my ThinkPad S440. There is a i5-4200U currently. I found that the CPU is soldered on the MB, so if it was possible to change the whole motherborad, that would be also great.

Do you think there are options to upgrade?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Hi guys!

I was wandering if it is possible to upgrade the cpu on my ThinkPad S440. There is a i5-4200U currently. I found that the CPU is soldered on the MB, so if it was possible to change the whole motherborad, that would be also great.

Thank you in advance!
Theoritically possible, pratically not. to make a cpu upgrade work, you need to know it the internals is strong enough to bear a stronger cpu, then you need to know if the bios SUPPORTS the cpu, while there is a microcode of complete 4000U intel cpus, it doesn't mean that the vendor give boot access to the cpu. Crosshflashing might work with the bios of the same laptop PCB model but different laptop model (ex s440 have...
Hi guys!

Thank you in advance!
Theoritically possible, pratically not. to make a cpu upgrade work, you need to know it the internals is strong enough to bear a stronger cpu, then you need to know if the bios SUPPORTS the cpu, while there is a microcode of complete 4000U intel cpus, it doesn't mean that the vendor give boot access to the cpu. Crosshflashing might work with the bios of the same laptop PCB model but different laptop model (ex s440 have 2 version and the ones with i5 and i7 only differs in the pcb name model while physically the same).

Wouldn't recommend it unless it's your lab rat test. Also finding the CPU Chip itself should be a little bit harder since you need to salvage the cpu,

Best way to upgrade is like what you said, the same exact pcb exact motherboard that fits with the only differs is on the cpu.

Reactions: Howardohyea
Solution
Aug 26, 2021
Theoritically possible, pratically not. to make a cpu upgrade work, you need to know it the internals is strong enough to bear a stronger cpu, then you need to know if the bios SUPPORTS the cpu, while there is a microcode of complete 4000U intel cpus, it doesn't mean that the vendor give boot access to the cpu. Crosshflashing might work with the bios of the same laptop PCB model but different laptop model (ex s440 have 2 version and the ones with i5 and i7 only differs in the pcb name model while physically the same).

Wouldn't recommend it unless it's your lab rat test. Also finding the CPU Chip itself should be a little bit harder since you need to salvage the cpu,

Best way to upgrade is like what you said, the same exact pcb exact motherboard that fits with the only differs is on the cpu.

Great, thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.