[SOLVED] Upgrading mobo. Question about sata and ssd/hdds with Win10

tangelo

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013
I'm going to upgrade my motherboard to another model and upgrade the CPU at the same time.

I currently have 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs on my system. If I just plug these into the new mobo and select the correct ssd as a boot drive, will everything be ok or will Windows 10 randomly re-assign the drive letters to the drives? I have different software(s) installed on different drives and Windows' swap on the second ssd. Will this cause problems?

I know a clean install is the preferred method, but it's not an option for me at this time.

Solution
I know a clean install is the preferred method, but it's not an option for me at this time.
It's always an option, and Windows may not give you the choice of "I don't want to".

With new motherboard and CPU, a clean install is strongly recommended.

Basically, 3 possibilities"
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks or months
If you try this, do it with ONLY the C drive connected. Leave the other ones disconnected until you discover if it actually works.
Swapping around drive letters on the other drives is easy, if needed.

But with all new parts, a clean install is strongly recommended, often required.

USAFRet

Titan
It's always an option, and Windows may not give you the choice of "I don't want to".

With new motherboard and CPU, a clean install is strongly recommended.

Basically, 3 possibilities"
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks or months
If you try this, do it with ONLY the C drive connected. Leave the other ones disconnected until you discover if it actually works.
Swapping around drive letters on the other drives is easy, if needed.

But with all new parts, a clean install is strongly recommended, often required.

Reactions: Saga Lout
Solution

TRENDING THREADS