[SOLVED] Upgrading SSD for more storage space what do I need?

tuvsh

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
Hello all!:)
As the title says, I have i think 110gb SSD, and I would like to upgrade to more space. How would I go about doing that, basically doing a complete transfer of all of my data from the SSD I have now to the one I will hopefully buy soon?

Thank you again for reading!
Have a wonderful day/night!
Stay Safe!!
:D

Solution
For which drive to get, 2.5" Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500.

To transfer

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot...

tuvsh

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
What is the budget for his new drive?
What motherboard is it going on?
What do you use this system for?
Desktop or laptop?

Cloning to anew drive is probably easy. WE can walk through the whole process.

Thx for responding!
The budget don't worry about. I am looking to upgrade to about a 500gb SSD.
The motherboard is
ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.
I use the system for everything.
Desktop.

Hope this answers all your questions, and Ty again for responding!

Take Care!

USAFRet

Titan
For which drive to get, 2.5" Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500.

To transfer

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution
Hello all!:)
As the title says, I have i think 110gb SSD, and I would like to upgrade to more space. How would I go about doing that, basically doing a complete transfer of all of my data from the SSD I have now to the one I will hopefully buy soon?

Thank you again for reading!
Have a wonderful day/night!
Stay Safe!!
:D

There's a couple ways of doing it.

Option #1: Drive docks like below: (I use these and have duplicated drives perfectly using it). It doesn't even require a computer connection. This is not useful for NVME drives or M.2 SATA drives as they won't fit in the slot.

https://www.amazon.com/WAVLINK-Dual-Bay-Docking-Station-Functions/dp/B018FTE87S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=TB14P7GU618D&dchild=1&keywords=wavlink+usb+3.0+to+sata+hard+drive+docking+station&qid=1590160671&sprefix=wavlink+usb+3.0+drive+,aps,162&sr=8-3

Option #2 Acronis True Image which is $30, but coupons/sales can be found for it often. This works well if you can connect the second drive at the same time like in a desktop computer. This will likely not work if you want to expand an NVME drive. You'll have to buy a NVME adapter and Acronis true image. (See below)

If you have a NVME drive, you'll LIKELY need a NVME dock and free USB 3 port like the one below:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-EC-N...ds=nvme+drive+enclosure&qid=1590160839&sr=8-4

Along with the above NVME dock, you'll need Acronis True Image. Once the backup is done, you'll swap the drives.

Option 3: Buy the new drive and extend your drive space. Windows Storage Spaces will allow you to do this. It will allow you to treat 2 drives as 1 large drive. This is referred to SPAN'ed JBOD. (Or at least Windows Version of it) But this is the least preferred method. It doubles your risk of critical data loss.

When duplication is done, you cannot keep the backed up drive in detachable storage. The new drive has to be placed inside the computer in question. After all it would be bad mojo if you accidently disconnected your main drive while using it.

Last edited:

tuvsh

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
Tyvm!
I forgot how cheap these things got since I last bought them, so I will probably get the 1tb. Also, I have a hdd is it the same process with getting everything on it also to the new SSD or something else?

Again TYVM!

USAFRet

Titan
USAFRet is correct. His steps will work also. Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image will do the job.

Or you can use the clone drive dock process with a wavlink like I showed. No special software necessary with the later.
The main reason I don't have Acronis or EaseUS in my steps above is simply because I've not used them for this task. I generally only recommend tools and procedures I've personally used.
I know Macrium And SDM work.