[SOLVED] Upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 with Ryzen

Greetings, I'm currently using Windows 8.1 with an AM3 socket motherboard.

I was intending to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 CPU alongside a B350 chipset motherboard, and upgrade to Windows 10.

My question is, is it possible to install the motherboard and CPU (and GPU, but that's not that important),
start my PC as usual with Windows 8.1, and then go through the upgrading process for Windows 10?

Just for the record, I currently have no ways of freshly installing Windows 10, but if necessary, I will try to find a way.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Didn't realise this was posted in the CPU section; perhaps it's not the best one to put this sort
of question in. Sorry about that.

EDIT 2: Thanks to whoever moved this thread to the proper section.

Last edited:
Solution

I was intending to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 CPU alongside a B350 chipset motherboard, and upgrade to Windows 10.

My question is, is it possible to install the motherboard and CPU (and GPU, but that's not that important),
start my PC as usual with Windows 8.1, and then go through the upgrading process for Windows 10?

Just for the record, I currently have no ways of freshly installing Windows 10, but if necessary, I will try to find a way.

Thanks in advance.
First make a full system backup if you can using something like Macrium Reflect Free https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
Try booting from that disk first, it may work after few tries and if hard...
I wouldn't try to use your current Windows 8.1 with a new MB and CPU because it's expecting your old MB and CPU and I think you might run into trouble.

I think the way to go is....a clean install.

Even though you have no way to do it at the moment.....I think it will be worth your effort to find a way to do it as I think it can potentially save you from a nightmare down the road.....and I can see you having to do a clean install anyway after you have all these problems trying to use 8.1 and updating it.

Reactions: LukaBoki
I wouldn't try to use your current Windows 8.1 with a new MB and CPU because it's expecting your old MB and CPU and I think you might run into trouble.

I think the way to go is....a clean install.

Even though you have no way to do it at the moment.....I think it will be worth your effort to find a way to do it as I think it can potentially save you from a nightmare down the road.....and I can see you having to do a clean install anyway after you have all these problems trying to use 8.1 and updating it.
That's what I was thinking about as well, but better ask and be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the reply, I'll wait for else's reply as well.

Thanks in advance.
First make a full system backup if you can using something like Macrium Reflect Free https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
Try booting from that disk first, it may work after few tries and if hard wired to internet it should install drivers.
Than you need W10 ISO which you can get by using MCT https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 you need exact version as W8, Home, Pro and language.
If it doesn't work with#Update now" let it make a bootable USB, start SETUP.EXE fromW8 and choose to "Keep everything".

Solution
You can install windows 10 from the media creation tool directly from Microsoft. You need to direct it to either put it on a usb drive or make an iso image to burn to a disc. Your Windows 8.1 key should work with no issue with Windows 10. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

Are you implying that I will be able to start my PC, go into the BIOS before I get to the desktop,
and boot from my USB drive to upgrade to Windows 10?

Try booting from that disk first, it may work after few tries and if hard wired to internet it should install drivers.
Than you need W10 ISO which you can get by using MCT https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 you need exact version as W8, Home, Pro and language.
If it doesn't work with#Update now" let it make a bootable USB, start SETUP.EXE fromW8 and choose to "Keep everything".

I'm using a wireless network adapter, so in that case, do you think it would be safer to do a clean install?
I wouldn't want to risk damaging the new components if not necessary.

Are you implying that I will be able to start my PC, go into the BIOS before I get to the desktop,
and boot from my USB drive to upgrade to Windows 10?

I'm using a wireless network adapter, so in that case, do you think it would be safer to do a clean install?
I wouldn't want to risk damaging the new components if not necessary.
All it can damage is OS itself, HW is more than safe. Make plans for full backup and keep on updating it anyway, it's a good idea no matter what.

Also, would it be possible to upgrade to Windows 10 now, while still using the old components, and then boot normally when throwing in the new components, or could I encounter similar problems as with my initially proposed approach?
I think that it would be even better, W10 is very resilient when changing hatdware. Best if you register it with MS account, I'm already on third MB since I installed W10 first time and even that was upgrade from W7.

Reactions: LukaBoki

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Didn't realise this was posted in the CPU section; perhaps it's not the best one to put this sort
of question in. Sorry about that.

EDIT 2: Thanks to whoever moved this thread to the proper section.

ryzen doesnt work with windows 7, not sure about windows 8.1. id check if i was you.