[SOLVED] Upload speed 20-50 times more than download speed on a Vodafone wifi hotspot device

Mar 26, 2020
Have recently got a wifi hotspot device/router ( Vodafone R206 Z 3G MiFi ) and see that the download speeds are about 0.3-0.6 mbps whereas the upload speeds show about 13-20mbps ?
( Am checking speed via speedtest.net)

This seems completely bonkers.

I have tried googling for the reasons for this and only 1 post which seemed to help some folks mentioned about disabling QoS ( wmm) ( https://www.ybrikman.com/writing/2012/02/19/got-slow-download-but-fast-upload/ ) .
This option is not available in the setting on the device I have.

( The company's phone tech support is useless asking me to go to store where I purchased this. Store is closed - all shutdown due to Mr Corona )

Am hoping the online tech community can help me figure/solve this.

Some other details which may be relevant :

Appreciate your reading this and any responses/things to try .

Thanks
Taher.

Solution
No way to be sure you have 2 different radio signals that can cause this. It is very likely the problem is between the cell tower and your router. Although the wifi on these devices tend to have poor coverage it should not be that bad.

Place your pc very close and see if it improves that will quickly tell you if it is the Wifi or the cell signal.

Place the device in a window that is closest to the cell tower tends to be the best way to improve performance to the cell tower.
No way to be sure you have 2 different radio signals that can cause this. It is very likely the problem is between the cell tower and your router. Although the wifi on these devices tend to have poor coverage it should not be that bad.

Place your pc very close and see if it improves that will quickly tell you if it is the Wifi or the cell signal.

Place the device in a window that is closest to the cell tower tends to be the best way to improve performance to the cell tower.

Solution
Mar 26, 2020

> Place your pc very close and see if it improves that will quickly tell you if it is the Wifi or the cell signal.

My laptop has been not more than one foot away from the device.

Also if both speeds were bad , I would think its an issue with the cell signal/tower.
The thing which I dont understand is why the upload speed is so much higher/faster than the download speed??

Unfortunately there is no way to test is if it is the wifi or the cell network.

It some times is because one direction gets better signal than the other. It could also be load related, maybe the cell tower has lots of people using it for mostly download.

Try placing the mifi outside when the weather is good to test if it runs better.