Status
Not open for further replies.

rhodders

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hi all,
I've seen a Y cable that splits the MoBo 20-pin header into two seperate USB 3.0 ports, but is there one that splits a single header into two?
The problem I have is I have a case with 2 USB 3.0 ports and a 3.0 adapter that came with my G1.Guerrilla that also has two ports. Problem is the MoBo only has a single 20-pin header connection. I suppose I could just leave off the 3.5" adapter, but why should I when I have it to use. So, is there an adapter out there that allows me to use both through the only USB 3.0 header that I have?

dgrona4411

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Hi, did you ever find a solution to your problem because i'm in exactly the same position. Spare usb3 panel but 1 usb3 header that is already used by my cases front usb3 ports.
i don't think any of the answers understood the problem. have you had any luck?

Dec 7, 2013

Yes, I think this is exactly what rhodders meant. I was actually looking for one too - thanks for the link, this is perfect!

Dazzani

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Awesome!!! This is exactly what I've been looking for. I was going to pick one up as well! I was just curious if this effects any of the speeds from the different ports, rather then the single dedicated header?

Zed2510

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Don't buy a splitter to achieve what you are trying to. They are not very common and for a good reason... It would be easier, cause less cable clutter and approximately the same cost to buy a PCI-E USB 3.0 card which has an internal 20 pin header. You can then run the 20 pin connector from an internal bay USB card reader/hub to this header, allowing you to run any of the computer case USB 3 ports to the single 20 pin motherboard header.

Mikemk__

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

But that uses up pcie lanes, which could otherwise be used for something else.

PhantomCommander

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Try this!
http://www.moddiy.com/products/20%252dPin-USB-3.0-Internal-Header-Y-Splitter-Cable-(12cm).html

OldGuyEngineer

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
DO NOT use these - UNLESS you only use one of the ports at a time. Plugging a device (type 2 or 3) in both ports will mess you up.
1) Both devices will try to signal the host as to type of device connected.
2) Both usb devices will try to ID themselves over the same port (this will really confuse the OS as to WHAT is plugged in.).
3) IF the stupid Y cable split out the two pair of superspeed channels then neither port will work at superspeed (ignoring all the OTHER electrical signaling problems) because superspeed requires BOTH channels to function. And when that failed, the mobo & devices will try to fall back to the original single usb 2 channel with it's pull-up resistor signaling. Where again two devices with interfere with each other.
TOTAL FAIL. !!

Reactions: Inkjunkie

johnathon007

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Why was this never a problem with USB 2.0? You can multiply 2.0 ports limited only by power requirements. For years we made cables to split internal headers as many as 10 ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.