Jan 13, 2020
I’m hoping someone can give me some info on these guys: https://www.moddiy.com/products/20-Pin-USB-3.0-Internal-Header-Y-Splitter-Cable-12cm.html

I just built a PC using an Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero motherboard. It only has one USB 3 internal header but my case is a Cooler Master H500M which has four USB 3 ports on the front of the case. There are two 20 pin connections each serving two ports but I can only plug one into my motherboard. Would like to have all 4 ports useable but can only use 2 at this time. Will this adapter work for my scenario?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I would assume that splitting off the a single 3.0 header into 4 ports would reduce the theoretical transfer speed if you were saturating all ports at once. I'm not 100% sure on that, but it would stand to reason that, if it were that simple, the case would've shipped with a single header requirement (a built-in 'splitter' if you will).

Of course, if you just want the ports active for dongles etc, it's not a big deal.

A couple of alternatives...
1. A PCIe add-in card.
Pros: adding another 3.0 header (+additional rear USB/Type-C in some cases), full speed, similar pricing to the splitter.
Cons: needs an available PCIe slot, may require SATA or Molex power.
2. 2.0 header to 3.0 port adapter.
Pros: Functional USB ports, cheaper.
Cons: Limited to 2.0 speeds, needs an available 2.0 header.

Jan 13, 2020
Ya, if it just reduces the speed if all 4 ports are in use at the same time then that's not a big deal to me at this time. The splitter would be ideal because it would be easy to cable manage and make it look clean. The PCIe card may not be ideal because I have a massive GPU (Asus ROG Strix 2080ti) and I think that card would block off at least one of the fans on the GPU. Just unsure how the splitter would work in this situation, if one USB 3 motherboard header can handle 4 USB 3 ports?

Jan 13, 2020
Hi Man
Check out your manual
ASUS Intel Z390 ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
Not sure which hero you got. But this one has usb pin connectors for multiple usb 3.1s not just the front panel connector
There is a single USB 3.1 Gen 1 connector and a single USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector. These connectors are different shapes. My case has 2 plugs for USB 3.1 Gen 1 serving 4 USB ports (2 each) at the front of my case and I am trying to find a way to have them both plugged into the motherboard with it only having the single compatible connector. Just trying to figure out if the Y splitter I linked to in my original post will work for what I am trying to do.

Jan 13, 2020
It would really help if you specified your mobo.
Well you can get an "assembler" assembling the two standard pin connectors into the same front panel double connector and not loose speed.
It would really help if you specified your mobo.
Well you can get an "assembler" assembling the two standard pin connectors into the same front panel double connector and not loose speed.
The Motherboard is an Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
This is the one here: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HCXT591/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, ^ that seems like a good solution in adapting the Type-C header into a 'standard' 19pin USB3.0 header....... except IIRC, the H500M has front panel Type-C, so that connector is in use.

The splitter is fine, like I said, unless you plan on hitting 3 or more of ports at the same time & expecting maximum transfer speeds.

Jan 13, 2020
Yeah, ^ that seems like a good solution in adapting the Type-C header into a 'standard' 19pin USB3.0 header....... except IIRC, the H500M has front panel Type-C, so that connector is in use.

The splitter is fine, like I said, unless you plan on hitting 3 or more of ports at the same time & expecting maximum transfer speeds.
Yes that is correct. That header is already in use. I think I will try the Y splitter and see how that works out for me. I doubt I will ever use all 4 front ports at once, would just like for them to all be usable and not have 2 of them just for show. Thanks.

happytonamy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I know this is a late addition to this thread, but MODDIY.com is an unreliable website. They are based in Hong Kong (which is also where they ship from), use the slowest shipping method possible, even though they advertise that they ship quickly. It took several days for them to ship this exact cable, even though they say they ship in 24 hours, and over a month later, it's still not here. I filed a Paypal complaint, and they are doing everything they can not to refund me even though they have a 30-day 100% guarantee. If they spent that much energy getting the cable to me, I would have had it weeks ago.