Info USB Connectivity Issues on Ryzen 5000/3000 (even on patched AGESA firmware) - Resolvable Through SoC Undervolting

I wanted to share some finding's I've discovered on the whole USB disconnectivity issues that have plagued Ryzen owners for years.

To re-cap, this issue got really popular a few years ago after the Ryzen 5000 launch. USB issues surrounding disconnecting problems became so widespread that AMD officially "patched" the issue through new AGESA revisions.

While thankfully, that fixed Ryzen's USB issues for the vast majority of AMD owners. The issue still affects some users, even on the patched AGESA firmware updates.

I am one of the affected people, but only barely. The only USB connectivity issue i have is my keyboard will randomly disconnect like once a month when my system starts. Obviously its barely a problem at all. Regardless, I still wanted to figure out what's going on, and why AMD's USB "patch" does not work for everyone.

Undervolting:

I discovered that SoC voltage and possibly Infinity Fabric voltages are the culprit. When you enable XMP, virtually all motherboards will automatically overvolt both the SoC and infinity fabric voltage to a pre-determined value I believe is set by AMD's AGESA firmware. In my case, enabling XMP will automatically overvolt the SoC and Infinity Fabric on my CPU by 100mv — going from 1.0v to 1.1v (for both IF and SOC). (I've found this to be the case n both my Asus X370 Crosshair Hero and MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC as well as on my Ryzen 7 5800X3D and Ryzen 5 3600).

This in of itself is perfectly (or should be) acceptable, AMD states the maximum safe SoC voltage is 1.2v and I believe the max safe Infinity Fabric voltage is 1.15v. So we are well below dangerous limits.

Regardless, I discovered that either the higher SoC voltage or both the SoC and IF voltages are interfering with USB connectivity somehow. AMD's default out-of-the-box voltages for the SoC is 1.000v, and 0.900v for the infinity fabric. I manually changed my SoC and IF voltages to those exact values while retaining XMP, and I no longer have keyboard disconnects. Actually to be specific i'm running 20mv higher on both voltages because I always add voltage after stress testing at a lower voltage to insure i'm not riding on the edge of stability. Regardless even at this slightly higher voltage i no longer have USB disconnecting problems whatsoever.

If you have USB connectivity issues on your Ryzen system and are on the "patched" AGESA microcode updates, it might be worth undervolting the SoC and or infintiy fabric to see if that helps. Going back down to default voltage values should help, but remember to do a memory stress test to make sure those voltages are stable.

Logically it makes a lot of sense why this is the case. SoC voltage is what connects all of the system's I/O to the CPU including the USB ports. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if AMD only tested the USB firmware patch on a default memory configuration with JEDEC timings which would leave the IF and SoC voltages at their default spec.

Last edited:

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Very interesting. So did just turning off XMP/DOCP alone rectify the USB issue for you?

I have this issue with an old Epson 4870 scanner that drops out on a 3900X / B550 with latest BIOS, but runs perfectly fine on Intel.

Very interesting. So did just turning off XMP/DOCP alone rectify the USB issue for you?

I have this issue with an old Epson 4870 scanner that drops out on a 3900X / B550 with latest BIOS, but runs perfectly fine on Intel.

Unfortunately I didn't test XMP off for a long enough time to see if that also fixed it. But its worth mentioning i had no USB issues when i was running it off temporarily. Regardless based on logic, turning off XMP would also completely fix the USB problems too. Just double check that the voltages are running at default spec in Ryzen Master or some other monitoring app. Motherboard firmware can behave weird sometimes.

Turning XMP off is definitely the easiest and safest way to see if that works. I would try it if you don't wanna mess with voltages and stress testing (which i don't blame you if you don't).

Reactions: NedSmelly
im on x370 board, used zen1, zen2 and zen3 cpus and zero USB issues
i doubt agesa has something to do with overvolting soc and IF with XMP, that is something which ASUS does, mine asrock stays at 0.9v soc at 3800mhz xmp
Interesting. That's the first I've heard. The vast majority of boards (not just Asus) overvolt the SoC.

That's probably why you aren't having issues either. Its great too that you are running 3800Mhz on stock voltage. That's pretty impressive.

Good post. Thanks for the info.

Originally, I did have issues specifically with keyboard as you eluded to. It wasn't all the time or even half the time, but always on boot.

I updated to AGESA 1.,2.0.7 - Bios 2803 - ASUS Prime B550 Plus - the disconnects were gone, and also a stutter issue I had which seemed to happen randomly, was solved too.

But, the next bios rev I updated to was 3404, and it seems as if the disconnects are back, but although on a much reduced leveK. Maybe 1 out of every 10 boots, which I've put down to anomalies.

Will defo try this now, and let you know how it goes.

I know that from one bios rev to the next voltage tolerances and base levels can be changed. So, I'm gonna update to the latest rev bios for my board 3607 and see what the SOC/IF are set at and reduce if needed.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: TechyInAZ
Good post. Thanks for the info.

Originally, I did have issues specifically with keyboard as you eluded to. It wasn't all the time or even half the time, but always on boot.

I updated to AGESA 1.,2.0.7 - Bios 2803 - ASUS Prime B550 Plus - the disconnects were gone, and also a stutter issue I had which seemed to happen randomly, was solved too.

But, the next bios rev I updated to was 3404, and it seems as if the disconnects are back, but although on a much reduced lever. Maybe 1 out of every 10 boots, which I've put down to anomalies.

Will defo try this now, and let you know how it goes.

I know that from one bios rev to the next voltage tolerances and base levels can be changed. SO, I'm gonna update to the latest rev bios for my board 3607 and see what the SOC/IF are set at and reduce if needed.

Cheers
Wow that's insane! Yeah i'm super curious if the voltage changes will fix your problem. I'm still running AGESA 1.2.0.7 because I don't have anything newer that's a non-beta revision.

Wow, I'm surprised your mobo hasn't gotten further updates.

This is the latest one for ASUS mobo's: Update AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1.2.0.Ca

I'd imagine every manufacturer will roll out the new AGESA code. Min only popped up 3 days ago.

On my system I have no such issues with USB with old bios. I also have been running 1.12v SOC voltage for 4 sticks of ram, stock was a bit unstable with 4 sticks of ram and auto IF voltage. My r5 5500 system doesn't have these issues either though that chip is newer rebranded 3600x so.

Wow, I'm surprised your mobo hasn't gotten further updates.

This is the latest one for ASUS mobo's: Update AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1.2.0.Ca

I'd imagine every manufacturer will roll out the new AGESA code. Min only popped up 3 days ago.

Yeah its a bit of a bummer. The problem is that MSI has an updated version of my board called the B450 Pro Carbon WiFI that has a much bigger BIOS chip storage capacity, and that's the one that gets regular updates.

Its fine though, besides the USB issues the BIOS i'm on works great.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I’m out of town this weekend but will try out the XMP off / undervolt setting with my problematic scanner when I get back. Asus TUF B550M Wifi, 3900X, GSkill Ripjaws 3200MT/s 128GB with DOCP turned on. Thanks for the heads up; will report back.

Postscript: just tried the scanner with XMP/DOCP off. Still hangs mid-scan. Doesn't happen on a 7th-gen i7 ThinkPad with Windows 10. hmm. :(

Last edited: