andyb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

I know people have asked this question before, but I still haven't found an
answer and I am in a slightly different situation.

I am running a Dell Inspiron 1000 with Windows XP SP2.

I purchased a WinTV PVR USB2 about a month ago, and it was working fine. My
Dell Printer 720 (also USB) was also working fine. Suddenly, about a week ago
I started getting the "USB Device Not Recognized" error. I did not install
any updates or patches prior to getting the error message. Device Manager
does not show any problems.

My USB external hard drive and USB memory stick work just fine (so it's just
my WinTV and printer that I'm having problems with).

I do not believe that it is my chipset considering that my USB works with
storage devices and also that my WinTV and printer use to work. Though I will
also admit that I am not too technical.

So far I've tried:

Unplugging the WinTV and plugging it back in.
Uninstalling WinTV (using hcwclear.exe) and reinstalling with the most
recent drivers from the Hauppauge web site
Contacting Hauppauge (they just told me to update my drivers, which I
already did)
Uninstalled all of my USB ports so windows can reinstall them
Ran usbreg.exe to completely uninstall USB from my registry
Reset my BIOS to factory default
Updated my BIOS (received update from Dell's web site)
Checked on the Microsoft web site to verify that I have the most recent
Windows updates
Running sf /scan
Using Norton GoBack - I went back as far as I could (just a couple of
weeks), to no avale.
Using System Restore

I do not have any other USB devices plugged in.

I am hoping that I do not have to reinstall XP.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Are all these USB devices using ports on the motherboard or a hub? If you
disconnect the USB memory stick and connect the printer does it then work?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"AndyB" <AndyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know people have asked this question before, but I still haven't found an
> answer and I am in a slightly different situation.
>
> I am running a Dell Inspiron 1000 with Windows XP SP2.
>
> I purchased a WinTV PVR USB2 about a month ago, and it was working fine.
> My
> Dell Printer 720 (also USB) was also working fine. Suddenly, about a week
> ago
> I started getting the "USB Device Not Recognized" error. I did not install
> any updates or patches prior to getting the error message. Device Manager
> does not show any problems.
>
> My USB external hard drive and USB memory stick work just fine (so it's
> just
> my WinTV and printer that I'm having problems with).
>
> I do not believe that it is my chipset considering that my USB works with
> storage devices and also that my WinTV and printer use to work. Though I
> will
> also admit that I am not too technical.
>
> So far I've tried:
>
> Unplugging the WinTV and plugging it back in.
> Uninstalling WinTV (using hcwclear.exe) and reinstalling with the most
> recent drivers from the Hauppauge web site
> Contacting Hauppauge (they just told me to update my drivers, which I
> already did)
> Uninstalled all of my USB ports so windows can reinstall them
> Ran usbreg.exe to completely uninstall USB from my registry
> Reset my BIOS to factory default
> Updated my BIOS (received update from Dell's web site)
> Checked on the Microsoft web site to verify that I have the most recent
> Windows updates
> Running sf /scan
> Using Norton GoBack - I went back as far as I could (just a couple of
> weeks), to no avale.
> Using System Restore
>
> I do not have any other USB devices plugged in.
>
> I am hoping that I do not have to reinstall XP.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I had similar problems with a Hauppauge TV-USB device.
It seems that Hauppauge is destroying some MS USB components.
It happens when Hauppauge is plugged in a certain USB-port and later
in a different one.
Everything you do to have that Hauppauge unit back is in vain.
At the same time some other USB devices are not working as well.
I uninstalled all USB MS components and bought a Hercules TV-USB
unit, no problems anymore!
Hauppauge is in the dustbin now, where it belongs!

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 18:59:02 -0700, "AndyB"