Question Usb headsets suddenly have no mic input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2019
Not sure where this issue belongs, but seeing as there's been a big windows 10 update last night I figure that's as likely to be the problem as anything else.

I'm using the Hyperxcloud 2, and I have a spare of the same, both using the usb connection, and also a rubbish other headset that just uses jacks.

The mic stopped working suddenly during a game with friends, and I had no idea until realising they couldn't hear me.

I've tried 4 different usb ports, both headsets, tried changing components between the headsets, checked settings (system sound, teamspeak settings, discord settings), checked drivers for my headset are up to date, restarted my pc multiple times throughout. Still nothing from my mic except a bit of crackling (that can be heard by my friends) when I plug/unplug the headset itself from the usb dongle with all the controls on it.

The rubbish jacks-only headset works but is terrible. When I use the jacks adaptor that comes with the Hyperxcloud 2 headset it seems to work briefly then stops working entirely, bit weird not really sure.

I'm totally dumbfounded, any ideas?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Uninstall (and I mean uninstall) the drivers for your sound card and the headsets.

Download a fresh copy of the latest from the respective vendor support pages for each. Reinstall the sound card driver first, followed by the other two.

There have been reported sound issues off and on with the Version 1903 update, but if you're talking a cumulative update to a system that was already on 1903 I have not heard much in that regard.

Aug 20, 2019
Cheers, will give that a try tomorrow if what I've just noticed doesn't suggest something else...

On device manager if I go to the mic on my headset (yes the mic and speakers are listed separately despite being on one device plugged into one usb port), and click properties -> events , it states "device not migrated".

I've tried running sfc/scannow from admin command prompt to no avail.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Aug 20, 2019
I've run both sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After running the dism and restarting then running sfc again it now says it successfully repaired everything (before it said there was stuff it couldn't repair). Still my mic was "device not migrated"

Then I uninstalled drivers for everything under "Audio inputs and outputs" and "Sound, video and game controllers" in device manager, restarted, and resintalled. Still the mic's aren't working and it still says "device not migrated".

:(

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Unfortunately, I don't have any more specific ideas.

The "Device not migrated" message could very well be irrelevant. If you look at a lot of devices they'll say this. The built in microphone (Realtek) in this laptop, if you open its Device Manager properties and look in the Event tab has, as its first message, "Device not migrated." That's followed immediately by "Device configured," then "Device started."

But any active device should show as started.

Aug 20, 2019
Oh I assumed top message would be most recent on there. It does say configured and started in the next 2 lines so probably barking up the wrong tree.

PC recognises the mic is there obviously, teamspeak recognises it too. The only sign I can find anywhere of anything being wrong is that when I speak nothing happens, was hoping "Device not migrated" was a viable lead to fix it!

Thanks for all your help.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Have you tested the mic with, say, Voice Recorder?

You need to determine if anything can pick up its input. Also, be certain to check your microphone settings to ensure it is not muted. I have seen this happen and it's not obvious like when the speakers are muted in many cases.

Aug 20, 2019
Just tried voice recorder. No sound being recorded from me speaking. Just crackling when I pull the headset out from the soundcard/dongle thing that the HyperX Cloud II uses. Same as teamspeak and discord.

Mic isn't muted.

Status
Not open for further replies.