Sahitya Sharma

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
So, I have been having this weird issue since last year. My laptop has three USB ports (two USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0), one USB 3.0 and the USB 2.0 works fine and recognizes any device i connect to them without any issues. But, the USB 3.0 port next to the USB 2.0 port (Which is soldered directly to the motherboard) does not recognize my USB keyboard (Brand and model below) or my mouse. Whenever I connect them, windows throws a "Windows did not recognized the last device you connected error" and checking in the device manager it says "Unknown USB (Device descriptor request failed" with a yellow exclamation next to it. The weird thing is that my friend's logitech wireless mouse is detected without issues, and even my external hard drive (which draws power from the USB) works without any error. I know the devices are not damaged because the other ports recognize them without problems. I have tried everything i could (reinstalling the unknow devices' drivers, unistalling USB 3.0 drivers, doing a system restore, reinstalling windows, cleaning the port, force installing generic drivers), but the issue isn't resolved. Please provide any suggestions that might help fix this issue.

SPECS:

HP AB029TX Laptop
Intel Core i5 5200U
Nvidia GT 940M
Windows 10 64-bit Home Single Language
Kingston SSD 500GB
Redgear Blaze Tournament edition keyboard
Steelseries Sims 4 Gaming Mouse

Ralston18

Titan
My general thinking is that too many USB devices on one computer, especially a laptop, may not be supportable per se.

Do you have access to an independently powered USB Hub?

An independently powered USB hub simply plugs into one USB port of the host computer. And provides additional ports for other USB devices. However the hub has its' own power supply and is not dependent on the host computer.

Give that a try.

Sahitya Sharma

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
My general thinking is that too many USB devices on one computer, especially a laptop, may not be supportable per se.

Do you have access to an independently powered USB Hub?

An independently powered USB hub simply plugs into one USB port of the host computer. And provides additional ports for other USB devices. However the hub has its' own power supply and is not dependent on the host computer.

Give that a try.
Thank you for the prompt response. I dont have a usb hub available to me right now. Also, im not connecting multiple devices simultaneously. Even when connecting the devices without anything else attached on the other ports, i am having the same issue. additionally, external hard drive is working on that same port without problems, so power consumption cannot be the issue.

Ralston18

Titan
One USB device (e.g. your external drive) may work. However, adding a second USB device may go beyond what is supportable.

That said, then the problem may lay with the adjacent ports and/or the plugs being inserted. Could just be too tight or close and causing some physical connectivity issue.

Use a USB extension cable between the USB device(s) and USB ports. Idea being to alter the physical connection and eliminate a possible conflict.

Sahitya Sharma

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
One USB device (e.g. your external drive) may work. However, adding a second USB device may go beyond what is supportable.

That said, then the problem may lay with the adjacent ports and/or the plugs being inserted. Could just be too tight or close and causing some physical connectivity issue.

Use a USB extension cable between the USB device(s) and USB ports. Idea being to alter the physical connection and eliminate a possible conflict.

interesting suggestion, however, the devices i am trying to connect have built in usb cables which do not detach, so i cannot test this as well. seems like buying a USB hub is my only option.

EDIT: The USB port started recognizing my keyboard and mouse out of the blue. The issue seems to be fixed, for now atleast. Mods please close the thread.

Last edited: