Feb 17, 2020
Having a weird USB issue!!

I just got a Presonus Audiobox 96 mic interface, which is powered by USB. It worked fine when I plugged it in, but then I noticed I was having internet issues, due to my ethernet cable. As soon as I unplugged the presonus. Internet came back. I tested this with some other USB things I was using (webcam, mouse, and keyboard, gaming controller) It seems I have to keep one of these unplugged for everything to work properly..

Is this a power issue?
Is it safe for me to get a powered USB hub?

This was the first PC i've ever built so just don't want to fry anything

Thanks for any and all help!

PC Build:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB OC Video Card
EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case

Solution
Yep... that's actually the max power output that USB 2.0(I'm guessing that's what you're using for your interface) is able to provide: 500 mA at 5V - 2.5W. Like the replies above a powered usb hub will most likely solve this issue.
How much power is the mic interface supposed to draw ?

If power consumption isn't particular high, then I'd suspect one of the voltage regulators on your mobo is bad.

If you use a powered usb hub, then you should have removed "usb power" issue from the equation.

However, before that - you may want to do a test to see if it may be a Windows related issue. What you can do is to get a Linux live boot medium (CD/DVD or usb stick with iso image written to) and plug it in and see if that still kill the network interface.
If you can turn on the mic device then and see if that still get the network interface killed. Then you'd know if that is a windows related issue or hardware (nice to know before using money on some gear you might not need after all).

You should also read the manual for the mobo to see if it states if there is a maximum power capacity for one or for all usb ports combined.

Feb 17, 2020
I believe the issue is with the mic interface-- the website said it draws 500millamps. Not sure if that is high or not...

I can get it to work, but only if I unplug a device or two from USB. If I restart the computer, I'll get no audio coming out of it. Even when I unplug it and plug it back in sometimes it won't work properly.

if I get a powered usb hub for the interface; would that overload the mobo? Or what it just supply enough power to run the interface safely?

I'm trying to find the maximum power capacity for the usb ports on my mobo but haven't been able to find it yet.

Sorry I'm still learning all this stuff, thanks for the reply!

Yep... that's actually the max power output that USB 2.0(I'm guessing that's what you're using for your interface) is able to provide: 500 mA at 5V - 2.5W. Like the replies above a powered usb hub will most likely solve this issue.

Last edited:
Solution