Bigem_neo

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Hey everyone,

I've gathering parts for a new build to replace my current PC, which has 1xNVMe SSD for Win 10 and 3 other Sata SSDs just for my games. As I am getting a new NVMe SSD I'll be fresh installing Win 10 on, I'd like to know if I can simply connect the 3 other SSDs in the new system. Would that cause any conflict with the new hardware ? Can I just format them and redownload my games on the new build ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
Yes.

If these are Steam or Origin games, you don't even have to download them again.
You can tell the new Steam client where they live on these other drives.

Any other applications on those will need to be reinstalled, though.
Dec 28, 2020
You should be able to simply reconnect the 3 SSDs to your new hardware without reformatting or deleting the data on them. You also might be able to choose the same location as the previous PC for installing your games, which should save you from redownloading them.

Reactions: Bigem_neo
Dec 28, 2020
Hey everyone,

I've gathering parts for a new build to replace my current PC, which has 1xNVMe SSD for Win 10 and 3 other Sata SSDs just for my games. As I am getting a new NVMe SSD I'll be fresh installing Win 10 on, I'd like to know if I can simply connect the 3 other SSDs in the new system. Would that cause any conflict with the new hardware ? Can I just format them and redownload my games on the new build ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Go to the board manufacturer and see if your model is backward compatible. Simple as that. You need to understand that with the advent of NVMe M.2 it is my opinion that SATA is going to join IDE, EIDE, CD-ROM, etc. as obsolete. Which would you prefer to have in your new machine, 600MB/s R/W rate or 7000MB/s R/W rate?