[SOLVED] Using old router with new one

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Hi. Im newbie in this stuff.

I have a modem/router from my new ISP which is setup in my living room.
now i a have another modem/router from my old ISP, I accessed the old modem thru 192.168.100.1 using my laptop and disable the DHCP server in settings.
Then i Connect the new modem with the old modem thru LAN and now im using my old modem as an AP and switch.

My problem now is that i cannot access my old modem thru 192.168.100.1 anymore.
What should i do to access my old router?

Solution
Since you turned off the DHCP your device no longer has an IP address in the .100 subnet. You could manually assign a .100 subnet IP to your device that is wired connected to the old router. You probably could then see the router pages.
If all else fails, do a factory reset on the old router. That will set it back to router mode. You can then access the setup pages. BEFORE you disable the DHCP server, you need to change the LAN IP address of the old router to an IP address in your primary router IP subnet BUT not in the DHCP range of the primary router.
Example:
Your primary router is 192.168.10.1 with a DHCP range of 2 - 254. You first need to limit the DHCP range to say 100 - 200.
Then on the old router -- with it NOT...

kanewolf

Titan
Since you turned off the DHCP your device no longer has an IP address in the .100 subnet. You could manually assign a .100 subnet IP to your device that is wired connected to the old router. You probably could then see the router pages.
If all else fails, do a factory reset on the old router. That will set it back to router mode. You can then access the setup pages. BEFORE you disable the DHCP server, you need to change the LAN IP address of the old router to an IP address in your primary router IP subnet BUT not in the DHCP range of the primary router.
Example:
Your primary router is 192.168.10.1 with a DHCP range of 2 - 254. You first need to limit the DHCP range to say 100 - 200.
Then on the old router -- with it NOT connected to the primary router yet -- set the LAN IP address of to 192.168.10.201
Then disable DHCP on the old router.
Then connect the LAN port on the old router to the primary router.

You should be able to access the old router at 192.168.10.201 If not, then factory reset the old router and try again.

Solution

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Example:
Then on the old router -- with it NOT connected to the primary router yet -- set the LAN IP address of to 192.168.10.201
Then disable DHCP on the old router.
Then connect the LAN port on the old router to the primary router.

You should be able to access the old router at 192.168.10.201 If not, then factory reset the old router and try again.

Thanks. I can now access my 2nd router by forcing my pc to a static IP.
ip: 192.168.100.2
gateway: 192.168.100.1

another question, so im using my old router like a switch (without IP) here's my setup.
ISP's fiber thru GPON of my current ISP provided router (only LAN port 1 is enabled) then cat5 to my old router's LAN port 1. LAN port 2 of my old router to my PC and it's working.

i enabled WLAN of my old router and is broadcasting an SSID,
but when i connect to it thru wifi, i dont get IP and internet.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks. I can now access my 2nd router by forcing my pc to a static IP.
ip: 192.168.100.2
gateway: 192.168.100.1

another question, so im using my old router like a switch (without IP) here's my setup.
ISP's fiber thru GPON of my current ISP provided router (only LAN port 1 is enabled) then cat5 to my old router's LAN port 1. LAN port 2 of my old router to my PC and it's working.

i enabled WLAN of my old router and is broadcasting an SSID,
but when i connect to it thru wifi, i dont get IP and internet.
What is your ISP provided device? I am wondering if it is a modem only and not a router.