[SOLVED] Using Powerline adapters to make a private network

Dec 26, 2019
Hello,

I am at uni whereby they put restrictions on devices that are allowed on the network (i.e. no chrome casts).
I was thinking about buying a Powerline adapter, and then buying a router and connecting the two. Would it then be possible to make my own private network using the router that is connected to the Powerline adapter which uses the university network?

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Jamie

Solution
Why don't you just use a ethernet cable rather than mess with poweline.

I don't know how chromecast works but if you put a router between you equipment and the univeristy it will not cross. Traffic would only go out the wan port of your router if it needed to leave your network. So if you had say a NAS traffic between your PC and the NAS would also stay only on your network.

What I am somewhat unclear is how you expect to connect your router to the university wifi since you do not have a ethernet port. You are going to have to hack together something because it is very rare for a router to use wifi for its wan connection.
If you're trying to bypass the 'no chrome cast' rule, you probably won't be able to no matter what you try if it's connected to the school network. They probably have an enterprise router that inspects every packet going out to the Internet and blocks those requests completely. Your only option will be to bring your own Internet using a cell hotspot or something like that.

Dec 26, 2019
If you're trying to bypass the 'no chrome cast' rule, you probably won't be able to no matter what you try if it's connected to the school network. They probably have an enterprise router that inspects every packet going out to the Internet and blocks those requests completely. Your only option will be to bring your own Internet using a cell hotspot or something like that.

in theory would it work though? thanks for the reply

Dec 26, 2019
In theory wouldn't we be helping you to bypass security measures and wouldn't that be against the rules?

they provide ethernet ports in some of the rooms, but mine doesn't have one. creating a private network isn't against the rules, nor is using the chromecast. they just said they don't have the capability to support them

I don't know how chromecast works but if you put a router between you equipment and the univeristy it will not cross. Traffic would only go out the wan port of your router if it needed to leave your network. So if you had say a NAS traffic between your PC and the NAS would also stay only on your network.

What I am somewhat unclear is how you expect to connect your router to the university wifi since you do not have a ethernet port. You are going to have to hack together something because it is very rare for a router to use wifi for its wan connection.

Solution
Dec 26, 2019

I don't have an ethernet port to connect to

they provide ethernet ports in some of the rooms, but mine doesn't have one. creating a private network isn't against the rules, nor is using the chromecast. they just said they don't have the capability to support them
Oh, then this is just a 'don't call us if you have problems' thing versus blocking. That being said, then yes using powerlines to extend the university network and adding a router to have wifi should work fine. And then the chromecast should work too.